PDA

View Full Version : 110FXP3 scope/ring question

les strat
08-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi all. New to the forum, although I have read a lot on here for years. Great info!

I have had my 110FXP3 30-06 for about 3 years. Great tack driver! It was a package gun with the Simmons crappy scope which I eBayed right after purchase. I bought real Weaver bases with an offset front base to give me more room for my shorter-tubed Nikon Monarch 3-9x40, one of the Team Primos runs. Now I did not replace the rings and had a local gunsmith guru (THE great grandson of Richard Gatling!) zero it for me. For my hunting rifles, I prefer the Weaver-style mounts over a one-piece base due to room at the receiver.

In retrospect, I am beating myself up for not going ahead and buying better rings. The unit has held zero perfectly for the last two seasons. These Savage rings have an insert similar to the Burris Sig Zee rings to secure the scope and to keep form marring it I guess. They are working. Who makes these for Savage????

Yesterday, I bought a set of the Zee rings, but returned them to my LGS today as my bases are aluminum and read it's not good to mix metals. The LGS told me the Leupold Rifleman aluminum rings are absolutely fine regardless of their price and they have had no problems with them. They just seem dainty compared to the Savage rings or the steel Zee rings, and I am affraid they won't handle the recoil of a 30-06 any better than what's on there. IDK.

If it was yours, sighted in, and holding steady, would you mess with it, or just shoot it?????

243LPR
08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
If it aint broke...

handsomerob
08-23-2012, 06:52 PM
...Don't fix it!

Seriously, if you haven't had any problems with it, why even think about it? You should ask yourself what you expect "better" rings to do? Don't beat yourself up. Until you start to have real problems with them don't think about getting different rings.

My two cents.

les strat
08-23-2012, 08:39 PM
LOL, that's what I'm thinking, but then, I just start thinking too much about what to do to my guns next. It's a sickness.:crazy: