PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Alaskan Guide specification questions

kevin_stevens
08-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Hi there, new member here. I guess I should have joined a year ago when I bought a Savage .22, but I didn't. :p

Anyway, I just purchased a Savage Alaskan Guide in 375 H&H. Will be picking it up Sat. and then won't see it for a couple of weeks while it ships and DROSes its way into California.

I have a couple of questions about this limited edition, mainly because I want to start shopping for a replacement stock, but also just for general information. There's zip on the Savage site about it.

What I know about the AG is that it's a 116, they were made as a special run in 2006, and are a pre-Accutrigger, flat top rear action with a 20" barrel, blind magazine, and the CRF bolt and ejector mods. Here's a link to the ad, with pics:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/524264/phoenix-arizona-rifles-for-sale--savage--375-h-h-magnum

So, questions:

- Is it safe to assume that this is a staggered feed magazine gun? I understand that 2006 is in that transition period to center feed, but this seems to be an older design in most ways (it has the wrench cuts for the barrel nut, for example).

- I understand that the action screws on the LA guns are all the same distance, but that the mag well openings were cut to different lengths to accommodate short, long, and magnum cartridges. Would this be an issue for an aftermarket stock, or should anything that purports to fit a 116 staggered feed (assuming point 1 is correct) work?

- Same question for scope bases - should any one-piece 116 base fit?

- Again for stock fit purposes, where is this barrel in terms of thickness? I saw where Savage makes their magnum barrels slightly larger than "normal", but it isn't a bull barrel. Should most "sporter" barrel stocks fit or be able to be fitted? (Yes, I debated posting this in the Stock forum)

Anything else I should know or note about this rifle? If there is routine work that they (the AG or 116s in general) need, it'll be sitting at a gunsmith's for a couple of weeks and it's possible I could get a trigger job or other work done while it waits.

Thanks much!

KeS

Stockrex
08-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Scope base - flat rear scope base
Factory stock is very light and great for walking

pdog06
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
-yes, it is a staggerfeed gun(all centerfeeds are round rear actions)

-the magwell size should not be an issue for buying a stock. If anything you may have to grind a little bit out of the stocks magwell opening to fit it properly, but normally you dont have to.

-any long action flat rear scope base should fit just fine

-the magnum contour barrel will be slightly larger than a standard sporter barrel. Depending on your stock choice it may fit just fine. If not, just wrap some sandpaper around a round object(wooden dowel, pvc pipe, etc) and make it slightly larger in size than your barrel. Then just sand away on the barrel channel till the barrel will free float in it. It should only take 10-15 minutes to do if needed.

-as far as other things to look for.
- We already covered the barrel free floating, but the rear tang of the action also needs to be free floated. Most of the times they are but sometimes they are not and need to be changed. Basically just sanding down the stock in that area will do it.
- The factory pre-accutrigger will be a little stiff and can be adjustedsomewhat to make it better. This can be done yourself if you are comfortable with that sort of thing, but if not then get your smith to do it. There are directions somewhere on this site on how to do it.

thomae
08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
-
-the magnum contour barrel will be slightly larger than a standard sporter barrel. Depending on your stock choice it may fit just fine. If not, just wrap some sandpaper around a round object(wooden dowel, pvc pipe, etc) and make it slightly larger in size than your barrel. Then just sand away on the barrel channel till the barrel will free float in it. It should only take 10-15 minutes to do if needed.

Although the current stock is synthetic, just a friendly reminder that when you are done sanding out the barrel channel of a wooden stock, don't forget to seal the area you sanded to prevent water damage and swelling in the event that you ever have the rifle out in inclement weather.

kevin_stevens
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks! That gives me what I need to start shopping. ;)

KeS

kevin_stevens
09-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Ok, the rifle just cleared DROS and I picked it up today. My first thought - wow, this is light! I took it to the range just with the express sights, and shot my "qualifier" 25-yd target (required to get on the 100-yd indoor range). Sights are off left, but grouping is not awful. Second thought - wow, this is loud! Ok, that was everyone *else's* thought, as the entire pistol lane stopped dead and stared at me. :)

Finished my three-shot qualifier and carried it out - third thought - wow, my shoulder is a little sore. Took a look and it's just bleeding a little bit. We'll see what the bruises look like tomorrow. Got home and weighed the rifle - 6.25 lbs!?!

So, there's a Boyd's stock in the immediate future, as well as a Limbsaver Nitro pad (I need it for LOP anyway). The stock is in the final stages of finish, and then I'll start fooling with bedding. Now I have the rifle I can start thinking seriously about scope bases and rings that won't conflict with using the express sights. I'm thinking Warne Maxima QD rings and Burris steel bases as a starting point.

BTW - the factory stock has pillars on both action screws - was this normal for the 2006 factory stocks, or is the AG "special" in this regard?

KeS

cgeorgemo
09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
It's normal for the stocks to have pillars.