PDA

View Full Version : 111 trigger issues/advice

ihscout
08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I recently purchased a new model 111 22-250 combo package. I thought the gun came standard with the accutrigger, but have learned they do not. I am having the same problem as others with bullets strung all over the target. I have read most of the post about accutriggers and aftermarket ones as well, but I see there are varying issues. I would like to be able to hold a decent group ( 1.5") at up to 200 yds. I bought the rifle to use around the farm on coyotes, crows and general plinking. My questions are as follows:

1. Will an accutrigger solve my problem?

2. What is the average cost of a used accutrigger on here? I dont mind paying to subscribe, but I did buy this rifle combo because it fit my budget. I hate to spend $12 to find out that used triggers are as much as an aftermarket one.

3. Will the accutrigger fit in place of a std trigger? I have read comments both ways on here.

4. Could I take the std trigger to a gun smith and have the amount of pull adjusted down to the 2# range?

thanks for helping a newcomer.

22 Mag
08-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Ihscout
Talk to Jim Briggs at Northland shooters supply 763 682 4296. He will help you adjust the trigger pull weight with either a new trigger spring for the old trigger or sell you an aftermarket trigger that will adjust down to the weight you want. Good guy to work with.

22 Mag

darkker
08-22-2012, 03:42 PM
1) Maybe, but not NEARLY enough information to answer that.
2) Last one I personally saw was about $75
3) you have to do some machineing, IIRC for the safety.
4)Yes, or turn the adjustment screws and test yourself

stangfish
08-22-2012, 10:16 PM
1. Will an accutrigger solve my problem? N/A

2. What is the average cost of a used accutrigger on here? I dont mind paying to subscribe, but I did buy this rifle combo because it fit my budget. I hate to spend $12 to find out that used triggers are as much as an aftermarket one. I think your 12 dollars is well spent.

3. Will the accutrigger fit in place of a std trigger? I have read comments both ways on here. Not without some machining. It is not practical for you.

4. Could I take the std trigger to a gun smith and have the amount of pull adjusted down to the 2# range? Yes but someone might offer to help you with a DIY trigger job.

thanks for helping a newcomer.

If you want to do it yourself, remember that safety and reliability are very important and is critical to implement some priorities; sear engagement by paying careful attention to spring preload, and the safety function. There are some good video and written tutorials on this. Do some searching and get back to the forum with questions. I or others will be happy to end you a lighter spring if you have the older wire spring trigger. good luck

pdog06
08-23-2012, 08:46 AM
why do you feel that the trigger would be causing your poor accuracy?

There are MANY other issues also that could be causing the poor accuracy(barrel heat, ammo choice, tang free-floated, barrel free-floated, stability from the bench(rest/bags), scope mounting issues, etc).

Tell us more about your complete setup.

82boy
08-23-2012, 09:36 AM
As Pdog stated, the trigger will not dramiticly change the group size, if you shooting big groups with that trigger then you would shoot big groups with a 2oz benchrest trigger. You say that bullets are strung all over the target, a trigger problem would show up, as the group shifting to the right (On a right handed shooter.) and possibly lower. What you are more likley experincing is shooter error. The problem I find when shooting a heavy trigger is when pulling the trigger you can see the cross hairs of the scope walk over, when you see this you release the trigger and try again. It is possible to shoot great groups with the gun just as it is. (been there, done that, have the t shirt to prove it.)

You may have developed a flinch, from shooting heavier calibers, or have little experince shooting a rifle. One of the biggest causes of accuracy problems is the scope, just because it is new, or a certain name brand doesn't mean that it is good. What are you shooting off of? Trying to shoot a small group with the rifle rested over a rolled up jacket, is not going to work out. Switching winds can reek havic on a group, are you using wind flags? It is very possible that you have ammo that the gun doesn't like. So with all of that said No a accu-triger will not help you problem, it may in fact make your problem worse.

What is the average cost of an accutrigger, dont know you dont see them come up for sale often.

Will a accu-trigger fit in a standard trigger short answer is NO.

Can you take the standard trigger to a gun smith and have it safely lowerd to the 2lbs? Yes, if the gunsmith knows what they are doing. Just because someone calls them self a gunsmith doesn't mean they know everything about guns, or can produce quality work. In all reality you can do this your self, it is not a hard chore to do. Use the search feature, and do some research, you will find information on how to adjust your trigger.

skypilot
08-23-2012, 10:04 AM
IIRC that is a sporter barrel and they are known to walk some as they heat. Mine will some after 4-5 shots in a row in about 20 seconds.

olddav
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Just to add my experience to the mix, after installing a Rifle Basix SAV-2 on my 110 my groups went from 1 1/4 moa to less than 3/4 moa.
My problem was with the heavy trigger I'd focus on pulling the trigger smoothly to the point of letting my point of aim drift. The trigger pull was just too heavy. Of course there's a little more to it than just a lighter trigger but it was the one thing that made me more comfortable shooting the rifle.