PDA

View Full Version : Other gunsmiths besides SSS? LOSOK, others?

GPM
12-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to have an action T&T, and was hoping for some recommendations. I'm aware of SSS, and have already sent out an email to them. However, I suspect that they have a very long wait time, although I hope I'm wrong.

What other gunsmiths would you recommend if I just want the action work done? I'm planning to replace the barrel and stock myself, so I just need the action work. I found LOSOK on the web, does anyone have any experience with them?

If not, which others would you recommend?

thanks.

82boy
12-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Well, do you want it done right or done quick?

Uncle Jack
12-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Jeeze! Is it the policy of this forum that SSS in the only gunsmith in CONUS who is competent to work on a Savage rifle. The guy was just asking for a recommendation.

82boy
12-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Can you name another, that does good work, and has fair prices?

pd721el
12-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Center shot rifles, Stockade, Benchmark and Hart barrels

geargrinder
12-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Nat Lambeth, Nate Dagley

WaltherP99
12-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I haven't had any work done by him but I have heard Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles does good work with Savages.

Now prepare for this one to be locked up and deleted, just like the rest of them! ::)

Blue Avenger
12-19-2009, 10:17 AM
if you don't want it blocked then don't start with all the unnecessary comments. stick to the subject.

GPM is not intristed in an argument.

chunks7mm
12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
+1 for stockade

GPM
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, not interested in an argument at all, I am simply looking for options. Sometimes, people have deadlines that don't work for other folks. Nothing wrong with either party, their needs just don't intersect. I'll know more when I find out the lead time at SSS.

In the meantime, thanks to those who responded, and if you have others you've had success with, please let me know. Any specifics about your interactions with these smiths would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

GPM

Dangerous Dan
12-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Nat Lambeth, Nate Dagley

I Am a Gunsmith and I Do them I Am Shure Fread Is Very Good He Does Tons Of Just Savage Rifles , But Nathan Dagley Is One Of The Best Craftsmans I Have Ever Seen DD Just My 2 Cents

Uncle Jack
12-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Out here is the boonies of Western Montana, we ain't got no sophistacated WSR (Woodchuck Shootin Rifle) gunsmiths, but I betcha I could find a couple of pretty decent AESR (Antelope & Elk Shootin Rifle) gunsmiths right here in the county. Lead time is a problem here to; these guys are always out hunting.

uj

WaltherP99
12-19-2009, 01:06 PM
if you don't want it blocked then don't start with all the unnecessary comments. stick to the subject.

No argument here...just stating a fact! ;)

GPM: +1 for Stockade also. Great guy to talk to and do business with! Honest and upfront!

pa hog
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
+1 S.S.S. For the T&T Job and Savage parts and accessories

+1 M.C.R.
I also have had Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifle build me a rifle, but he does not Time just Trues the faces. Not because he's not capable it's because he doesn't have the tooling for it. His work is precise and very well done, I will use him again for barrel work and my gunsmithing as he is in driving distance for me. But for my T&Ting it's worth the wait for S.S.S.