PDA

View Full Version : 11FNS or 12FV ?

sims5
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Looking at a getting a .22-250 new rifle. Which would you recommend?
The 12FV 26" heavy barrel with synthetic stock or a 11FNS 22" sporter barrel with a synthetic stock? Price is not a consideration, the heavy barrel with an accu-stock is on sale and is the same price as the one with the sporter barrel, both have accu-triggers.

Might as well give ya the rest of the build specs as far as the scope,rings and base.

Mueller 8.5-25x44
Burris XTR 2-piece scope base
Burris Signature Zee rings, need to figure out which height yet
Probably be painting the synthetic stock with some Krylon colors.

Thanks Y'all

ctrout
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Depends on what you want to use it for. If you need a walking rifle that shoots well, go for the sporter weight. If you want a super accurate rifle and weight is of no concern, get the 12FV. I have a 12FV and decided that I wanted a hybrid of both. I want the heavy barrel accuracy potential but in a lighter and handier rifle so I will be getting my barrel cut to 21.75". It shoots .200" at it's current 26" length.

sims5
12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Majority of the shooting will be from a bi-pod. I would assume that a gunsmith would have to do the barrel cutdown, how much would that cost or who would do such a procedure? Would it affect the velocity much? Just curious. That is exactly what I would want, 22" heavy barrel would be cool.

Did some more research and according to the Savage web site the 12FV is not available with the accu-stock. I'll look at it tomorrow and find out in person.

lwink
12-19-2009, 01:04 AM
I'd go for the 12. As far as cutting it down and recrowning, any gunsmith would do it -- may find one at a local gun shop, Gander Mountain will do it, SinMan or Fred could do it. you'd have to wait a long time for SSS, not sure what Sinman's wait time is. Either could give you an idea of a price to look at. Obviously it would be cheaper locally as there would be no shipping there or back, but you could at least know if you're getting ripped of or not.

ctrout
12-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Sinman was running a rechamber special a while ago. I think that it would have cost me like $105 for the cut, crown and rechamber had I done it then. I'm thinking maybe $150 with shipping and no discount for that work. If you went with the Ackley chamber, you would probably see no change in velocity with a 4" barrel cut. Otherwise, 150-200fps loss at most. Sinman will be doing my work when the time comes.

rjtfroggy
12-19-2009, 07:22 AM
If you go with the zee rings you will need the medium, but if you stay with the xtr rings you will need low rings.

sims5
12-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Well made up my mind and brought the 12FV home. It isn't the accustock, but does have a wider forearm than older models. I'll see if it keep me happy. thanks for the input from everyone. I'm going now to order the rings and the bases.
Here is a couple pics of how it looks for now, bipod wasn't included.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage_12FVa.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage_12FVb.JPG