PDA

View Full Version : Huskamaw Scopes

1S1K
08-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Anyone own or used one of these scopes?
I see reviews from most other scope on the site but never a Huskamaw.
Long range shooters? Anyone?

yoteman
08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
The are Leupold scopes that are rebranded with the Huskemaw logo. They add "custom" turrets for the load you shoot which are available through Leupold also. So in reality, you get a Leupold scope only much more expensive. It's a marketing gimmick. Save some money, do some research on the Leupold web page.

M.O.A.
08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
yes just go to the leupold custom shop in there web site and set you a scope up the way you want and it will be a lot cheaper

efm77
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I've had my curiosity raised by them recently too. I assumed they were probably Japanese. Not being a smart @$$ but how do you guys know they're made by Leupold? I've never looked at one up close so I haven't seen the similarities.

yoteman
08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Huskemaw made this information public right after their "first" release of the Huskemaw line. The first release never happened for approximately two years after first announcement of Huskemaw. Leupold also manufactures scopes for release in Europe (and I suppose the rest of the world) that never are seen by American eyes. Just like Cabela's scopes, some are made by Meopta, some by Burris, some by others. It changes about every two years.

yoteman
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I haven't bought into to Huskemaw/Long Range Hunting Rifle concept ever since they got rid of John Burns. He was trying to inform anyone who wanted to build a serious accurate long range rifle by themselves. Now the Best of the West wants to sell you their scope, their custom turrets, their "custom accurate" rifle, their laser rangefinder and the list goes on and on. I guess if you don't want to do your homework, work up loads and shoot alot then there is a need for their products. Rather do it myself and enjoy my on successes. Just my $.02

efm77
08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Not saying I doubt you but it's weird that this scope is a 4x zoom ratio but yet Leupold doesn't market any scopes of their own that I know of with a 4x ratio. Most are a 3x zoom ration except for the VX-6, unless I've missed some of the tactical models. Not saying they can't do it, it's just strange that they would do it for someone else but not make them with their own name on them too.

M.O.A.
08-21-2012, 06:14 PM
leupold also makes the scopes for grey bull scopes witch are allmost the same as huskemaw scopes and even cost the same

stomp442
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Yep all it is, is an overpriced leupold just like the G7 used by the long range precision guys is just a nightforce.

yoteman
08-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks stomp, I had forgotten the GreyBull optics. Huskemaw and BOTW keep reinventing themselves every few years. I haven't check lately, but they used to offer NightForce scopes at retail plus a large markup. But here in America, if you 'invent it', someone will buy into it. Just not as much bragging like Counter Sniper scopes with all their unobanitum, zerillyiam, multicoated rare earth imported from the latest Mars mission braggadicio.

1S1K
08-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate ALL your comments.
Yoteman: Can you steer me to a model number at Leupold that matches the BOTW scope?

04-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Just thought I would update this......Huskemaw are made at the same factory as NightForce in Japan.