PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: model 99 value question

Big Laker
08-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I have the chance to buy a model 99 in 300. i know little about these guns and neither does my friend, who is selling it (he inherited the gun).
I want to offer a fair value for the gun and need some help.
based on the serial number, the gun is from 1941
has a checkered pistol grip and forearm, marble rear sight
the gun was used on a ranch, so it shows definite signs of wear but no major scars.

any help would be appreciated

bill2260
08-20-2012, 11:31 AM
I have one just as you describe that was my grandfathers. It is in pretty good conditon, minor dings for a gun that old. I would not take 1000 for it. They are probably worth 700 to 1000 not chopped up in original conditon. Bill

Jeff518
08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
you should go on the auction sites and see what they're SELLING for...which is different than what's being asked for them. There are several models in that vintage, some more desirable, some more common, most have been altered, which makes them quickly fall away from those 700 to 1000 prices.

It is still a very desirable gun in a really great (albeit, retro) caliber, best if you reload for it, but new factory ammo is still being made.

3fingervic
08-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I've got two potential local deals going on a 99 in 300 Sav. I really want an offering in this caliber. I think it's just more authentic. I know it's in my head, but it makes the gun more collectable to me. :) Both are unmolested, as far as extra holes, and both look to be in the same as what Bill described. One wants $600 and it comes with 80 rounds of ammo. This deal will have me driving about 20 mins. The other wants $500 (offered $450, so we'll see) and will have me driving 40 mins.

I would say that $500 would be a good offer on that gun Big Laker. It may be worth $600 but if I were selling a gun to a friend, he would get a discount.