PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Trigger modification to a Savage 93R17BRJ **This actually Worked **

HalfTrack
08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
After recently making modifications to a new Stevens Model 200 .223 Rem, I was looking at the old trigger spring.
I also took a very close look at the spring on the .17HMR accutrigger I have in the 93R17BRJ.
Turns out that the manufacture of the springs are exactly the same in design. The difference is that the Stevens spring is shorter. I decided to take a closer look and see if the adjustment threads for the two guns were the same, I'll be damed if they were both 10-24 threads. I disassembled the accutrigger on the HMR and replaced the stock accu-trigger spring with the one from the Model 200 trigger. No problem, fit just right. The question was if it was too short or weak to be safe. Well, It was not too short, plenty of room for adjustment was there. It was also plenty strong enough to use and I got a rather amazing result for 20 mins of work. The safety worked perfectly, the accu-trigger was untouched and worked perfectly :), and I was able to reduce the safe trigger pull to 1 1/4 LB. I was amazed it worked. No modifications, refitting or purchase required, except maybe a factory spring from a Stevens Model 200. The work was done in 1/2 hour including the assembly and dissassembly.

Hope this idea helps someone else.
This is my first contribution to the Forums, please let me know what you think.
I am absolutely interested to know if I missed something in my changes that would make this modification unsafe.
Thanks, HalfTrack

thomae
08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you got something there.
Congratulations and thanks for your contribution. Belated welcome to the forum.
BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods next week when I drop my son off at WCC.