PDA

View Full Version : Bored and thinking crazy thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Ksmirk
12-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I know it could be done but has anyone taken a rifle action and converted it to a pistol? thinking on the Stryker or old XP-100 idea just not sure on how much of a pain it would be since I have never go to play with the inner workings of a Stryker or XP-100. Like I said it's slow at work today and the mind was wondering. Later,

Kirk

handirifle
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Ha! I thought I had the corner on crazy ideas.

It will be curious to see what comes up for answers, but I do know this, if you go below a 16" barrel you now have an SBR (short barreled rifle) which is controlled by the National Firearms Act, that requires a $200 Federal stamp and all the associated PITA that goes with it.

Now, I suppose you MIGHT be able to get the ATF to convert it to pistol, but am unsure on that one. Besides all that it sure seems like a neat idea.

You COULD make one with a 16" barrel, but there is also a min overall length, I think.

Ksmirk
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes sir I had thought about that little $200 stamp I would have to purchase from the ATF and since I know the guy that would be cutting the barrel it would measure in at 16.5" ;D I'm just thinking something different to shoot p-dogs with and pretty much just thinking about odd stuff this is the first time I have ask a question though. I am interested in see the replies though and if feasable ya never know I might just give it a try when the account gets back to kinda normal after Christmas and the plastic is back to $0. Later,

Kirk

dcloco
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Once a receiver is converted from rifle to pistol, legally, it many not be converted back.

handirifle
12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Once a receiver is converted from rifle to pistol, legally, it many not be converted back.

Could you clarify that statement? Maybe you cannot register it as a rifle again, but you can sure make it one. The Contenders are a perfect example of that. It was recommended to me, when I was looking, that I buy the receiver as a pistol, because you can always, legally make it a rifle, with stock and long barrel, but if you buy the receiver as a rifle, you CANNOT put a 12" barrel on it.

The factory where the receiver is made, determines whether it is first sold to the dealer, as a pistol or rifle. I was told, that from there, it cannot be changed. But a call to the ATF would clarify that.

Apache
12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I "think" (not sure) the contenders and encores (and others like them) were exempted.

It seems I've read that somewhere.............but you know how things are on the internet.

If you really want to do this you better check with the ATF yourself..........and get the full name of the person you talked to!!!!

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 04:30 PM

NO, Once a pistol is converted to a rifle it can not be converted back. Rifle's can not be converted to pistols.
Bare unregistered (as in new, never sold outside the dealership to a private party) actions can be built into handguns
If they have never been used as a rifle. came from the factory as a bare action, not barreled action.
Dealing with the BATF to change one is not something you even want to start time , paperwork or money wise.

Go buy someones target action and have fun building what you want.

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Contenders and encores are built to be changeable. there were some issues about changing rifles that were bought as compleat rifles to handguns at one time. They are the only frame's that have some leeway at this time.

dcloco
12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Go research your favorite AR15 site....and then the BATF site.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-18-2009, 05:53 PM
A pistol can be converted to a rifle. It's still a "long barreled" pistol. Put a short barrel back on it and it's a pistol again. It was sold and registered as a 'pistol".
Put a short barrel on a rifle (registered and sold) action and you're asking for trouble.
A Contender is a pistol frame. (Registered and sold as a pistol??) Put a long barrel on it and it's still registered as a pistol. (it just has a long barrel)
Put a short barrel on a rifle action and go through the BS of trying to get it registered as a pistol. Might just as well get a XP or Contender and go from there.
I have a XP 100 that is converted into a rifle. It's still (registered) as a pistol. I can change it back to a short barrel and it's a pistol again.

I doubt you'll ever run into a problem unless the Feds were to check it and find out it was a rifle converted into a pistol. Like if they were looking for you and made a raid on your home and found it. Does the name Levenworth sound like fun?

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
and learn what while wallowing through miles of paper?

Ksmirk
12-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Fella's this was just a thought that ran through my head while I was working so hard ;D it WOULD have a barrel length of more than the 16" min. so would this be a rifle in a pistol stock or be considered a compact rifle?

I was more interested in the mechanics of the trigger assembly and what it would take to get the thing to work properly. Oh well it made for a fun subject to discuss. Later,

Kirk

dolomite_supafly
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Rifle to pistol requires a $200 tax stamp, the only exception is Thompson Center and a few others. It needs to be registered with the ATF as a short barreled rifle if you are going to install a barrel less than 16" on a rifel receiver. After registering it as a SBR it can have any stock with any barrel length you want. Another thing you may want to look at is installing a pistol stock on the rifle and have a barrel long enough to get to the 26" OAL for the firearm. The legal requirements for a rifle is 16+" barrel with a 26+" OAL, thats it.

Here is a 10/22 RIFLE kit:
Hornet Products (http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=HCP-TSBLUE)
Again this is a rifle that is able to skirt the law by having a 16+" barrel and a OAL of 26+". So following the same rule you could take a pistol stock and install it on a rifle receiver as long as the OAL is greater than 26" and the barrel is greater than 16".

Converting a pistol to a rifle is perfectly legal.

It is also perfectly legal to take a pistol action and put any length barrel on it you want, including a 16+" barrel while maintaining the pistol stock. Additionally you can put whatever stock you want on a pistol so long as when you install a rifle stock it has at least a 16" barrel. It is not legal to have a barrel that is less than 16" on a receiver with a rifle stock unless it is registered as a SBR. As fas as the legality of taking a pistol and converting it to a rifle then back to a pistol I have been told it is perfectly legal but I always go by the rule "once a rifle always a rifle" just to stay safe.

Dolomite

Balljoint
12-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Here's one for you when i purchased my bare AR15 Lower had to fill out paper work to buy it then also had to fill out paper work as a pistol asked why dealer said that was what he was told.

handirifle
12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Fella's this was just a thought that ran through my head while I was working so hard ;D it WOULD have a barrel length of more than the 16" min. so would this be a rifle in a pistol stock or be considered a compact rifle?

I was more interested in the mechanics of the trigger assembly and what it would take to get the thing to work properly. Oh well it made for a fun subject to discuss. Later,

Kirk

Yea ya never know where these threads will end up.

I think you might be able to pull it off. Look at the new BATK (?) Savage sniper rifle. It uses the AR15 lower grip. That might help some. If you want the trigger farther forward, ya might have to pull a trigger assy off and see what kind of linkage you need.

Samdweezel05
12-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Yea ya never know where these threads will end up.

You speak the truth.

Phil

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Here's one for you when i purchased my bare AR15 Lower had to fill out paper work to buy it then also had to fill out paper work as a pistol asked why dealer said that was what he was told.

In MN the back ground check is the same as a handgun because of the assault rifle moniker. no extra paper work for handguns at time of purchase, it requires a background check and purchase permit good for a year.

handirifle
12-18-2009, 11:17 PM
While this isn't a conversion, I think it's what you had in mind. Might serve as a prototype for ya.

http://www.jfkmurdersolved.com/images/XP100.JPG

Here's the link to where I found this.

http://www.jfkmurdersolved.com/fireball1.htm

Not as balanced as some, but still servicable if shooting off the knees.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-18-2009, 11:25 PM
And a Guy can "never" have enough toys! ;D

handirifle
12-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Here ya go!

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/rxp100ex.jpg

Found a diagram of the unit they modified for the trigger.

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/rxp100ex.htm

Like I suspected, some sort of "linkage".