PDA

View Full Version : I need a favor

Clint KY
08-19-2012, 10:10 AM
I need a favor. I ordered a stock for a Savage 10 for my Stevens 200 which will be here tomorrow. I need to borrow a serial number of a Savage 10 so I can use the Savage Part Finder (which requires a serial number) so I can order the screws (which I know are different) and to check to make sure the Trigger Guard & Trigger Guard Front Screw are the same and can be used on the new stock.

Thanks,

acemisser
08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
you don't need no serial number...The modles are all the same..If it's your rifle where is yournumber anyway? Sounds fishy to me..You aint gonna get my number and try to say i stole your rifle...lol I ordered parts for my rifle and did not need no stinkin serial number

nsaqam
08-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Ace, he has a Stevens 200 and he needs the number for a Savage model 10 as he believes the stocks are different and require different action screws.
I have a Savage 16 and if it's the same stock as the one you're getting my serial number is G0368xx
Make up the last two numbers and you'll be there.

sniper15545
08-19-2012, 11:37 AM
You do need a serial number to buy parts from Savage, They will not sell you anything without a number due to liability issues.

Blue Avenger
08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
screws, 1/4x28. go to the hardware store and look at the specialty screw boxes for allen head screws. A LOT LESS money!

Skunce
08-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Buy them extra long and cut them to length. I've been using button head screws on mine. If you have a Fasteners store in your town it's a good place to extra long screws. Many of the big box stores only stock coarse thread screws.

nsaqam
08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Good advice from BA and Skunce.

cgeorgemo
08-19-2012, 12:24 PM
There are auctions on gunbroker all the time that include serial numbers in the listing or picture.

Clint KY
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM
you don't need no serial number...The modles are all the same..If it's your rifle where is yournumber anyway? Sounds fishy to me..You aint gonna get my number and try to say i stole your rifle...lol I ordered parts for my rifle and did not need no stinkin serial number
Ace - The models are NOT all the same. I am converting from a plastic to a wooden stock and the the screws and a few other things are different. And you did not order from Savage without a serial number.

Ace, he has a Stevens 200 and he needs the number for a Savage model 10 as he believes the stocks are different and require different action screws.
I have a Savage 16 and if it's the same stock as the one you're getting my serial number is G0368xx Make up the last two numbers and you'll be there.
Thanks - I did that and found the Part #s I need for the screws and also found out that my trigger guard will probably also not fit, and I will have to get one of those also. I hope the Model 16 is the same as the Model 10 as that is the stock I am getting.

And to those who suggested I use the local hardware store - No - the screws offered there are not the button head screws that Savage uses, but straight sided heads which protrude just a bit beyond the stock. Not to mention they are bright metal while the Savage screws are blued. Bushnells offers the screws at twice the price and twice the shipping that Savage does, but Savage requires that you know the part number for the part you are purchasing.

Thanks for your efforts.

nsaqam
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately the model 16's are all synthetic stocks.

The TG on your Stevens is likely plastic and you'll want to replace that anyway. Anoy of the metal TG's for a non Accutrigger Savage should work fine in your Stevens.

I don't know if you have Fastenal stores in Kentucky but if not there are likely several fastener supply houses around and they'll have black oxide (blued) button head cap screw available in many sizes. My local Fastenal just gives me the screws for free if I'm only getting one or two.

Clint KY
08-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I rechecked the number I got from nsaqam and it is also has a plastic stock. Oddly it has different screws and a trigger guard.
I still would like a serial number from a wooden stocked Model 10 and you can leave the last two digits off if you are afraid of anything.

nsaqam
08-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Clint,

I just looked on GB and here is a serial # for a wood stocked Savage model 10.
G085599

The diffence in the 16 screws and TG is that the 16 stuff is stainless steel.

Clint KY
08-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Clint, I just looked on GB and here is a serial # for a wood stocked Savage model 10. G085599 The diffence in the 16 screws and TG is that the 16 stuff is stainless steel.
Thanks ! I don't know how I missed that. Great news - the TG & front TG screw are the same. I can use my originals. It is plastic and I wish it were metal, but I can put it together as soon as the screws get here.

D.ID
08-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I replace all my action screws at ace hardware whenever I get a new rifle. First thing. Deeper allen holes are less likely to round out and/or break. I have done both to factory bolts and it is a PITA.

Clint KY
08-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I replace all my action screws at ace hardware whenever I get a new rifle.
Remind me to never buy a rifle from you. Until I retired two years ago I was a manager at a major big-box hardware store and I know what we paid for the junk we sold as screws & nuts, even the "good stuff" in the drawers. I will purchase my replacement screws from the manufacturer if I can (and I can) or at least from a specialty retailer like Brownell's or Numrich's.

D.ID
08-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Remind me to never buy a rifle from you. Until I retired two years ago I was a manager at a major big-box hardware store and I know what we paid for the junk we sold as screws & nuts, even the "good stuff" in the drawers. I will purchase my replacement screws from the manufacturer if I can (and I can) or at least from a specialty retailer like Brownell's or Numrich's.

I will be happy to remind you but I can tell you with supreme confidence they are stronger than the factory bolts. Waste the time and money if you like but you will end up with the more inferior of the two products. In either case........good luck.

cgeorgemo
08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
The big question here is who do you think Savage bought the screws from in the first place? Could be the same supplier might be an inferior supplier you actually don't know....
Numrich and Brownells are fine if you need to purchase from a gun related website.
The ones from my local bolt store are a welcome upgrade to the factory screws for 2 reasons. I can get them threaded all the way and cut them to length, and the Allen head is deeper and not as prone to striping out.
If you don't have a local screw supplier there are tons of places online that would sell you some as well.

Shoot-N-Nut
08-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I dont want to sound like Im advertising or anything but Brownells does have factory schematics and parts.

Clint KY
08-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I dont want to sound like Im advertising or anything but Brownells does have factory schematics and parts.
Two things about Brownell's - the schematics they have are often incomplete as is the case with the screws I needed. They showed on the picture but were not listed in the parts breakdown.

Secondly I called them first thing this morning and the nice lady knew the numbers right off, I ordered them and they will be here Thursday or Friday.

I only have to counter-sink the hole for the nut for the front sling swivel with my friends 1/2" Forstner bit and he won't be home till Friday morning and add the screws when they come in and I will be done. I have assembled the rifle with the short screws just to see how it looks and it is great. I got lucky and the wood has some nice character to it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/KyHilltopper/Guns%20and%20Knives/Stevens-wood.jpg

cgeorgemo
08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Looks nice Clint...