PDA

View Full Version : Who anneals? or would if...

dolomite_supafly
12-17-2009, 05:51 PM
...it was easier?

I was wondering who all aneeals on a regular basis?

Also, if you think you would if it was easier please post.

I have just got back a prototype of an idea that hopefully makes annealling easier and safer. I have already done qute a few cases and it seems good I just need to tweak the design a little. It is doing exactly what I had envisioned. So far, just to test, I can heat the case mouth to cherry red then touch the case head with a slight boil of spit. If I just heat to the point of discoloring I can touch the case head without getting burned in any way. This is all done without the use of water or coolant.

The tool will be inexpensive and easy to use I just need to do some more testing before I even think about producing any more.

Also, if there is anyone in the Knoxville, TN let me know and maybe we can meet so you can take a look at it.

Thanks
Dolomite

snoog37
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I've always been interested in giving it a shot, but felt the machines to do so were just too darned expensive to see value. A man could buy a lot of brass for the price of one of those machines...well...at least that USED to be the case! I would give it a whirl if the cost was reasonable, and the process repeatable & consistent.

Eric in NC
12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
I do it for expensive obsolete brass (40-72, 303 Sav, etc.) but a cookie sheet or cake pan with some water in it is an easy enough setup for me.

keithcatfish
12-17-2009, 06:42 PM
I have done a little annealing using a setup I saw on longrangehunting.com. Its very simple and effective.

I also live in Maryville, just south of Knoxville. I shoot at the John Sevier range regularly. Matter of fact I'll probably hit the range this weekend if the wind is not too bad.

laportecharlie
12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Well I am going to be doing it fairly soon. I ordered a Ken Light annealing machine about a week ago and expect delievery any day now. Once set and running it is going to get a real workout: 7,000+ 22Hornet, 2,000 223 AI, 3,800 221 Fireball, 1,000 20 Vartarg and then on to the 20,000 + 223 Rem. I'll post results (if there are any!)
Charlie

Apache
12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I do it all the time.....every 3rd shot on the brass, ::) well, most of the time anyways! ;)

Have a method that has worked for a long time for me. Involves a Lee case holder for a drill and a spray bottle of water and a butane pencil or mini torch.

epmn
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I do it pretty regularly on brass, especially semi-auto brass or brass being fireformed. I bought one of the brass-o-matics a few years ago and ended up rebuilding the torch holders so that I can change torch heights easily and repeatably.

epmn

82boy
12-18-2009, 11:58 PM
I have been know to do it a time or to. ;)

snipecatcher
12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Keep us posted. I use the kit from Hornady which employs a drill and a butane torch. It seems to work fine, but I doubt it's very consistent.

laportecharlie
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I got my Ken Light Annealer up and running today. First time ever annealing for me. For once I followed the directions and it worked great the first time. It does 18 rounds a minute or 1000+ per hour. I did all my empty 221 FB's and 20 Vartargs for a total of over 2,000 and every one looks exactly the same. Great machine.
Charlie

Bad Water Bill
12-24-2009, 07:59 PM
PICTURES :) PICTURES :) PICTURES :) PICTURES

please

laportecharlie
12-25-2009, 11:08 AM
BWB,
If you are refering to my post about the Ken Light Annealer, I'll try to post some but have never done so on this site with any success. If you google "Ken Light Annealer" I believe you will come up with a U-Tube video.
Charlie

Blue Avenger
12-25-2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.kenlightmfg.com/products.html