PDA

View Full Version : Lets be real now...just how much scope does one need for 200 to 500 yd. target shoot

acemisser
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
In all reality,how much does one really need to do good
target shooting at this distance? I mean if one has a spotting scope
to see his or hers hits..I can;t see spending hundreds of dollars
if it really isn't nesissary..I read where the snipers used only
like a 10x power.Of course they weren't shooting for v's or x's.
And besides the more power the more movement one notices..

So please feel free to share your thoughts..I aint gonna go take
out a loan to buy a scope...I just want something nice and clear
and I don't think this is too much to ask for...Thanks for your
ideas on this...John

brtelec
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I go with 1 power per 100 yards. then maybe up slightly. If I were going to be shooting at 500 or less I would use a fixed 6 power more than likely, to a possible maximum of 10 power. A decent variable between 3 to 4 power up to 9 to 12 is more than sufficient. I have some variable scopes but I prefer fixed power.

stomp442
08-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Also depends on how small your targets are. Shooting big steel plates yeah 9 power is fine. Prairie dogs is another story and the ability to zoom in is essential. I don't run anything under 16 power if there is any serious target work involved. The Nikon scopes like the buckmasters line is a good quality scope with plenty power and features for under $350.

wbm
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I think it depends on the individual shooter. To me anything over 16 to 20 power simply magnifies mirage. In an M14 I had I used a 4-9x40 Nikon ProStaff with the BDC and shot as well with it at 500 as I did with another rifle with a 6-25x50. For what it's worth a lot of folks, including me, were of the opinion that scoped rifles are better at 1000 yards than state of the art micrometer sights....Precision Shooting Magazine did a study years ago and found that it ain't necessarily so. I have used scopes from Leupold to Vortex and they all have their good points but the clearest and one I like most has been and still is an older model Weaver V model in 4-16x40. Personally I would set a price range that suits you and go from there. Also check out reviews of scopes at places like Sniper Central www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews and Snipers Hide www.snipershide.com.

skypilot
08-14-2012, 09:05 PM
A 30 mm tube or bigger is nice for more adjustment. A variable scope is nice to dial out mirage or determine wind using mirage at midrange and mid power. 1x per 100 yds is a good minimum magnification up to 1000 yds.

Good glass is better than power as some small targets can be hard to aquire at distance with power alone.

Get target knobs and a fine dot target reticle if you target shoot only and won't be hunting. Depending on your eyes 12 x should be plenty @ 500 yds. Any good name brand fixed or variable should do.

For the money vs quality vs warranty, Millett and Bushnell are hard to beat if you are on a budget. Sightron III is good but more bucks.

fgw_in_fla
08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I think it depends on your vision, too. I like to have at least a minimum of 18x to 20x for 200yds. That 3/4 inch red dot on the target disappears behind the reticle.

I'm starting to learn the 400yd line. A friend gives me a lesson in shooting & one in humility about once every 3 to 4 weeks. On the 400 yd line I like 24x or better. I can't see that well to begin with so I'd be better off strapping 2 telescopes to my head.

I like the higher power to help teach movement & technique, too. At 24x you can watch your pulse in the scope. Learning to shoot between beats or shoot without involuntary body functions affecting the shot takes good technique.

Now, if it's an animal that's the target, a 10 power is more than adequate at 300 to 500 yds. The bigger the critter, the less I need to look thru my polished coke bottle bottoms...

"Eagle Eye" Frank in Fla

acemisser
08-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I really appreciate all your wonderful comments on the subject..
I admit,right now I have cheap glass on both rifles..Tasco and BSA..

They both are ok for what I am trying to do,and thats to hit the bulls eye.
But I would like something more clear..I know you get what you pay for...

And if you have coke bottom glasses you better stay home anyway....Just kiddin Frank

Mine aint that bad yet..Being on a fixed income aint no fun,ya know...I wish we had a place
where one could go and look through the scopes afor you buy it..Course I suppose you
can always return it for a nother one,but that is a pain in my ass as well as anyones..

I say,you can't hit what you can't see...And some have more scope than the rifle is capeable
of as well...So if you have anymore ideas,please fell free to share them...John

rjtfroggy
08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
My eyes aint what they used to be so I like more power. I use a couple of different ones; shotgun hunting 1.5-5,rifle hunting 4-12, bench rest either a fixed 20 or a 6-24 or 8-32.
When shooting group out to 200 I use the 20x, when shooting score I use one of the variables,don't have anywhere to shoot past 200 so I basicly set up for what I have/need.
The fixed and the 8-32 are 30mm tubes and the 6-24 is 1" and none cost more than $300, have clear glass and are repeatable consistently.The fixed are SWFA'S SS brand and the variables are Muellers.

fgw_in_fla
08-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Ace..... At least you can say you don't have a Barska scope.....

I admitted it once a few weeks back. not something i'm proud of or want to brag about but hey..... I mean, I got it for a real deal.

AND.... it was on my .270 for 2 years & still works. It's probably the only Barska in captivity that still functions after 2 years of use & abuse.

Frank in Fla

P.S. Try having yourself a look at SightMark Scopes. My son just got one of their "triple duty" (whatever the hell that means) in a 8 - 25x w/ a 50mm side focus. Locking turrets, clear glass, accurate, repeatable settings, nice.. It's well worth the $219 he spent at OpticsPlanet. It's survived his .308 since June.

03mossy
08-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Be very careful about stepping up to another level of scopes. It spoils you and makes you not like your lower end scope you were just fine with before! I scrounged and saved (hid from wife) for a whole year to buy a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 30mm with the varmint hunters reticle. I love that scope for so many reasons but also hate it cause now I have something to compair my other scope to and they cant hold a candle to it.

Blue Avenger
08-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Be very careful about stepping up to another level of scopes. It spoils you and makes you not like your lower end scope you were just fine with before! I scrounged and saved (hid from wife) for a whole year to buy a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 30mm with the varmint hunters reticule. I love that scope for so many reasons but also hate it cause now I have something to compare my other scope to and they cant hold a candle to it.

LOL Like comparing almond bark to chocolate?

My 8x32x goes over 13x better then my 4x12x will IF I need it! when practicing I like to use the smallest target I can see to narrow down my focus.

fgw_in_fla
08-15-2012, 01:15 PM
WOw..... that is so wrong on sooooo many levels.

Neglects the lower power scope because he's cheating on them with a higher power scope. Hid it from the wife, too..... I know the addiction can be strong, even overbearing but, that's just not right.

We should try to help him. Maybe send him to a rehab center for a while. Someplace where they only have BSA & Barska scopes mounted on a Mosin Nagant with no recoil pad on the stock.....

Frank in Fla

Blue Avenger
08-15-2012, 01:32 PM

We should try to help him. Maybe send him to a rehab center for a while. Someplace where they only have BSA & Barska scopes mounted on a Mosin Nagant with no recoil pad on the stock.....

Frank in Fla
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/emocons/029.gif

03mossy
08-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Neglects the lower power scope because he's cheating on them with a higher power scope. Hid it from the wife, too..... I know the addiction can be strong, even overbearing but, that's just not right.

Frank in Fla

LOL and this comming from the guy that called his wife slow and fat in the "BEEs" thread!

BobT
08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I used to use a straight 36x for shooting in the local .22 match at 60 feet. I started with a 24x but the 36x was more of a good thing. I like as much magnification as I can use effectively in a given situation.

Bob

acemisser
08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I know when I was able to shoot the 1000 yard match's in PA..i started with a 32 power for my first shoot...TOO
much power...As soon as I got home it came off and I put a 12 on it...I guess I am soused to being able to see the
bullet holes with my Tasco 6 to 24 but It is not clear enough some times...
I have to tell myself to use the spotting scope to spot the target...I wish I had a place to go and look at a bunch of scopes
or I suppose I could just use the cheap ones I have and set them on low power to see If I am going to like it
befor buying another scope...Any thoughts on this idea...John Alpine,NY

CharlieNC
08-16-2012, 06:25 PM
If you just want to hit the target at that range then 10X is ok, and the Bushnell 3200 10X tactical is a decent scope for $150. However for shooting sub-MOA groups I definitely need much higher power and use a Weaver T36, which is nice glass and a good used one can be had for under $300 if you look. This certainly would not be a good choice for big game hunting but is wonderful at the range. So this becomes a very personal choice depending on the details of what you will use it for and how tight you want to shoot; the advice from the really good shooters is spend more on the glass than the rifle, and I am beginning to believe them!

acemisser
08-16-2012, 07:07 PM
If you just want to hit the target at that range then 10X is ok, and the Bushnell 3200 10X tactical is a decent scope for $150. However for shooting sub-MOA groups I definitely need much higher power and use a Weaver T36, which is nice glass and a good used one can be had for under $300 if you look. This certainly would not be a good choice for big game hunting but is wonderful at the range. So this becomes a very personal choice depending on the details of what you will use it for and how tight you want to shoot; the advice from the really good shooters is spend more on the glass than the rifle, and I am beginning to believe them!

I went to the range this morning and turned my BSA down to 12 power..I was surprised at how much more clear it was and I could see the target real good..But I have to admit I did better with it up to 16 and thats where I left it..So maybe I wouldn't bother looking for another as long as this works...Have it on my 22-250 mod.10 varmint rifle

Blue Avenger
08-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Normal with that quality of scope. I have one and it is the same way. The more expensive scopes, like my Burris Sig 8x32 stay clear all the way to 32x

Quickshot
08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Just like 03mossy, I thought I had to have a gold ringer. VX3,6.5x20x40, varmint hunter reticle, side parallax adj. It was ok for shooting paper, but when it came to shooting groundhogs, big mistake. Every time you pull the trigger, you have a blackout. Eye relief at higher settings is terrible. Needless to say it is now in the box and since I'm not doing the target competition or shootiing paper it will be there till I decide to peddle it. Replaced it with Burris 3x9x40 ballistiplex. Quick