PDA

View Full Version : Shorten barrel on 223 ?

cutter37372
12-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Recently bought a Stevens package deal @ Gander Mtn. It has a 26" heavy barrel 1-9 twist, and a cheap scope which will be replaced along with the tupperware. Had a problem with it shooting 12-18 inches high and left. So, back to Savage it went.

My question is, when I get it back I'm thinking about chopping 4-6 inches of barrel off for a little better balance.(very nose heavy) Leaning towards 22"

Accuracy shouldn't be affected but, what about velocity? Is 26" really necessary?
Planning on 60 grain v-max with full charge of Benchmark.

Thanks in advance,
Cutter

fatdaddy
12-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a Cabela's special run with 19" varmint contour. I shoot it beside several 26" to 22" barreled guns. A mix of Savage and Remington. Out to 300 yards there is no noticeable difference with the same loads. My 19" barrel is always among the smallest groups of the day. Pdogs with the same rifle out to 400 yds with the same results. Published data indicates 25 to 30 fps per inch, loss of speed should be expected, but I have never missed it. I have never shot it thru a crony though. I also have a pair of Mcgowen 28" barreled Savages in 6 BR. The 19" 223 is so nice to shoot, I'v thought about having one cut to 20" but cant seem to make myself do it... Bill

ctrout
12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
I have the 12FV which is pretty much the same gun and I have every intention of getting it cut to 21.75" and Ackleyed. I fully expect barrel length to have a direct effect on accuracy. I'll probably lose velocity too but I don't think I'll notice because of the improved chamber. Something very believable about the secrets of the Houston Warehouse that makes me really want to try the 21.75" barrel.

1Shot
12-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Something very believable about the secrets of the Houston Warehouse that makes me really want to try the 21.75" barrel.

...Something to remember...That was the magic no# for the cal. they were useing...& I don't think it was a .223

Smokepole
12-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Too much black magic in that article for me to buy it. I don't have boots tall enough.... If I had the time, I'd blow holes thru it for our mutual amusement.

People forget rifles are machines made of engineering materials, nothing more. No magic involved. Like 1Shot implied, that figure is what they EMPIRICALLY derived (very expensively I might add) for their caliber, w that blend of steel, w that temper, w that contour, w that surface finish, in those temps, w that load, w that fit to the receiver. Change any one of those or any one of the other un-named variables and the bet is off. In other words, if it's not the rifle/ammo/conditions those guys were shooting, that length may/may not be best.

Dangerous Dan
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM
The Shorter Barrel Has Less Harmonics Than The Longer Barrels, and Is Much Easy er To Poke Out The Window O Your Pickup Truck , On a 223 I Would Not Think It Would Matter Much If Using The Gun In The 100 to 400 Yard Range , Twist Is Just as In portant as How Long Your Barrel Is , Short Barreled Guns are Very Handy In The Field DD

Three44s
12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I recently bought a takeoff .223 sporter for the low "50's" here.

You'd still have that long tube to cut later.

Three 44s

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 11:49 AM
10" .223s may be slower but thy can do 3"@300 :)

wbm
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a .223 Savage varmint contour barrel that was cut down from 26" to the "magic" Houston Warehouse length. Right now I am shooting 26g of Varget with the 70g Berger VLD at about 2900fps. My goal was to replicate the MK262 load by Black Hills used in the MK 12 rifle. That load pushes a 77g Sierra at about 2850.

The only caution I would offer is to make sure that you get a really good target crown job after it is cut down.

cutter37372
12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
Pretty much sounds like accuracy wise everybody is in agreement. I also shoot a 20" AR varmint rig and it shoots light out but, guess I wanted some of you guys opinions.
So, when it gets back from Savage and they have fixed the problem, it will get chopped and crowned.

Thanks, Cutter

handirifle
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
While I have no problem cutting down my barrels, I recently sold off a 26" 308 barrel so I didn't have to cut it. I wanted shorter, but bought it with the intention of cutting it down and didn't have the heart. I'd keep it, buy a varmint contour of the length desired. Then you have a back up......for the next build ;D, you KNOW there will be one!

BigDad
12-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Check out this article, lots of useful information (accuracy & velocity) on shortening a .223.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Ksmirk
12-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I have noticed that on the shorter barrels one thing is the muzzle blast is more! but that I'm sure could be changed with powder. My little brother knocked his barrel from 26" to 20" for drive by's on p-dogs and the accuracy is there and a bit louder than my 26" barrel but I have yet to hear a p-dog say or complain about the differences in him or I shooting them LOL. Later,

Kirk

ctrout
12-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Something very believable about the secrets of the Houston Warehouse that makes me really want to try the 21.75" barrel.

...Something to remember...That was the magic no# for the cal. they were useing...& I don't think it was a .223

And that magic caliber as stated in the article was

"...the various benchrest calibers .22, 6mm and .30."

Which means to me that the 21.75" length is possibly the "magic length" for a barrel. In fact the article implies this in the following statement.

"The most accurate .30 caliber ever to find its way into the warehouse also belonged to Virgil. The rifle, built around a Shilen DGA action with McMillan barrel, shot consistently within a few thousandths of .100". The barrel length? You guessed it: 21 3/4"."

My 223 currently shoots 52gr Sierra hollow points into .200" at 100yds which is amazing accuracy for a rifle that was purchased as an abandoned project. What was there was all stock as far as I could tell. I just replaced the missing trigger group with a SSS trigger and mounted a scope. I know that many people wouldn't touch the barrel on a rifle capable of such accuracy but I want it to be handier and lighter for carry and I figure if I'm going to get it cut, I might as well get it cut to a length that many people are convinced has the best harmonics. The very worst results that I expect from this alteration is a lighter, handier rifle that shoots exactly the same as it did before and has longer lasting brass. The best that I am hoping for is a lighter, handier rifle that shoots at higher velocities and at greater accuracy than it did before and has longer lasting brass. I really don't think that I can lose here.