PDA

View Full Version : Just finished a 223 ladder test in my 10 FLCP-K now what?

rotts4u
08-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I have reloaded for the last 25 years and only recently started using "ladders" to help me find an ideal load. Before that I picked a powder and started shooting 3 shot groups over and over till I got one I liked then started tweaking primers, OAL, etc etc. Most of my rifles are sporter weight models with upgraded barrels but recently decided to get a 10 FLCP-K law enforcement model in 223. 99% of what I do is target shoot and since they make it in left hand models I was sold.

I have only had it to the range maybe 5-6 sessions but already it has put 6 groups in my personal top ten list (in 25 years of shooting). Most of them are shooting benchmark with 69 nosler bullets. This weekend I decided to try a ladder test with the rifle and some Varget which I had not shot before. I started at 24 gr and went up to 26g I think it was in .2 jumps. I shoot my ladders at 100 yards which I know is short but it has worked ok on other rifles and it is the range I have so I use it.

Today I shot one each of the loads above and after walking back and forth and marking them over and over what I have is just one very good 10 shot group well under 1". If I throw out the 2 most outside rounds the remaining 8 are around .5" and if I toss out two more rounds the final 6 are a scant .325"

This rifle shoots crazy good anyway so I am not really sure what I expect to find out of a ladder test but have any of you ever shot a ladder and the whole ladder shot into one big ragged hole of under 1"? I am not sure what to make of this. I shoot ladders on my precision AR15 in 556 and it doesnt do this well ever.

I simply love this rifle and now its got me wanting the 308 version too.

davemuzz
08-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Well......Here's what I think. I have just bought and "zeroed in" on my load for my new model 10 precision carbine. It has the 1-9 twist like yours and I have found the best load is the Hornady 68gr. match bullet over 24.5 of Varget. I get one ragged hole at 100 yards. And the funny part is that if I load 24.7gr. of Varget, the groups open up to 1.25" or 1.5".

IMHO, pick the load\bullet combo that the rifle likes and stick with it. Then focus on your next Savage. That way how could you go wrong? :)

CharlieNC
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd say you found and confirmed the sweet spot!

skypilot
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
If you went from 24gr Varget to max 26 gr in one hole @ 100 yds, that is not a helpfull ladder test.

I have the same rifle and ladder tested to get the best load also. 24.2 varget for 75gr and 25.8 varget for 69 SMK, .015 jump, win brass, CCI BR4 primers all done at 400+ yds.

I would suggest no shorter than 200yds, 300yds is better. You need the distance to see the vertical stringing stop and a horizontal pattern begin then a vertical stringing pattern again when that happens nearest the highest powder charge prior to pressure signs, that is you load. Then tweek seating to dial in.

If you remove the brake that load will no longer be the exact sweet spot.

kelbro
08-13-2012, 09:53 PM
If you went from 24gr Varget to max 26 gr in one hole @ 100 yds, that is not a helpfull ladder test.

I have the same rifle and ladder tested to get the best load also. 24.2 varget for 75gr and 25.8 varget for 69 SMK, .015 jump, win brass, CCI BR4 primers all done at 400+ yds.

I would suggest no shorter than 200yds, 300yds is better. You need the distance to see the vertical stringing stop and a horizontal pattern begin then a vertical stringing pattern again when that happens nearest the highest powder charge prior to pressure signs, that is you load. Then tweek seating to dial in.

My tests with the same barrel nearly mirrored Skypilot's. 24.3 Varget for 75gr Hornady BTHP and Amax and 25.7 Varget with the 69gr SMK. Stretch it out to 200 and you will see some dispersion. 300 would be even better.

dmpowder1
08-17-2012, 02:51 PM

+1 100 yards won't tell you anything. Think of it this way, have you ever heard of anyone's rifle having a 2gr sweet spot? If all you have is 100 yards to shoot at stick to the 3-5 shot groups.