PDA

View Full Version : My new 12 LRP rig

Panozguy
08-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Thought I would share - this rifle is phenomenal. This is my first long range precision rifle and it is up to the task.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj592/panozguy/IMG_2924.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj592/panozguy/IMG_2929.jpg

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj592/panozguy/Savagetarget7-31-12.jpg

The trigger is amazing. The target shown was at a measured/lasered 100 yards and that was break-in shots 13-15 down the barrel. Great 1/2 MOA rifle right out of the box. I anticipate getting down to .3 MOA or better pretty quickly.

vegas steve
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
their great guns. just wait till the barrel is seasoned in and you find a good handload it really likes,you will be amazed.

Panozguy
08-11-2012, 12:19 PM
I broke it in with 20 rounds of Hornady factory match 6.5 Creedmoor. The plan now is to put 300-400 rounds down the barrel without cleaning and I suspect it will shoot lights out...

MikeCTX
08-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Congratulations, my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots very well with the Hornady factory 120's and 140's but shoot dime size groups with Nosler 140's using the same powder/charge on the Hornady box (always work up to any handload to see if it is safe in your rfile). Have not got to shoot it as much as I want, but did take it out few weeks ago, and after dialing dope on my scope range 6ftx6ft stell plate at 1000 yrds with first shot, could break 4inch clays at 500 yards. I think they are really great rfiles.

One thing to watch, the trigger on my was set very low and after the first 50 rounds had to set it up, because it was too low and would trip the sear - just something to watch for. Moved it up just a little and it has NOT been an issue after that.

vegas steve
08-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I broke it in with 20 rounds of Hornady factory match 6.5 Creedmoor. The plan now is to put 300-400 rounds down the barrel without cleaning and I suspect it will shoot lights out... i wouldn't wait that long to do a good copper clean on the barrel. clean it good every 100-120 rounds.you can speed up the seasoning of your barrel by using a good bore guide and carbon cleaning rod and using a bore mop one caliber larger than what your gun needs(in your case a 7mm mop),and work some flitz or the polishing compound of your choice and polish the bore. it will help break all the sharp edges and micro burs out of your bore and helps tremendously with copper cleaning. any barrel that isn't hand lapped will benefit from this proceedure.

Panozguy
08-11-2012, 08:23 PM
Congratulations, my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots very well with the Hornady factory 120's and 140's but shoot dime size groups with Nosler 140's using the same powder/charge on the Hornady box (always work up to any handload to see if it is safe in your rfile). Have not got to shoot it as much as I want, but did take it out few weeks ago, and after dialing dope on my scope range 6ftx6ft stell plate at 1000 yrds with first shot, could break 4inch clays at 500 yards. I think they are really great rfiles.

One thing to watch, the trigger on my was set very low and after the first 50 rounds had to set it up, because it was too low and would trip the sear - just something to watch for. Moved it up just a little and it has NOT been an issue after that.

I bought 100 rounds of the factory ammo just so I could collect some brass. My plan was to reload some of the factory spec rounds and then I was going to try some 130 grain Berger VLD's just for kicks. Totally understood on the hand loads. I know the factory round is supposed to be right there but I can't resist playing with it a bit to see if I can eke out another 50-60 fps.

My trigger pull gauge's lowest weight is 8 ounces and this trigger from the factory is consistently below that. I agree it is very low...but it is also addicting! Fantastic trigger pull on this rifle.

Panozguy
08-11-2012, 08:26 PM
i wouldn't wait that long to do a good copper clean on the barrel. clean it good every 100-120 rounds.you can speed up the seasoning of your barrel by using a good bore guide and carbon cleaning rod and using a bore mop one caliber larger than what your gun needs(in your case a 7mm mop),and work some flitz or the polishing compound of your choice and polish the bore. it will help break all the sharp edges and micro burs out of your bore and helps tremendously with copper cleaning. any barrel that isn't hand lapped will benefit from this proceedure.

Thanks for the advice - break-in is such a black art. Some rifles need it, some don't. I have experience with quite a few Rem 700's that actually shoot better when they are not cleaned, which is where I'm coming from.

MikeCTX
08-11-2012, 10:22 PM
I should have added that I was using the factory 140's when I shoot the 1000 yd - all factory rifle and ammo, which really made me happy. Scope is Millet LRS-1, and has worked well for me. BTW have chrono'd loads up to 3000+ by bumping powder up .2gr at a time without having pressure issues. Want to try some other bullets, but having such good luck with the A-Max and Nosler just have not tried.

On cleaning, seems everyone has what works for them - what I did(do) is clean the barrel before I ever fire it with some Tetra Gun lube, then shoot it. Clean with BoreTech to get the first layer of carbon out, the WipeOut foam (after the WipeOut accelerator) and let it sit for an hour or so. First patch is blue, repeat and next time it is all clean. Started the Tetra Gun after a smith friend suggested it on pistols (fire and swab with Tetra Gun or CLP) and shoot...it has worked for me.

Panozguy
08-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I should have added that I was using the factory 140's when I shoot the 1000 yd - all factory rifle and ammo, which really made me happy. Scope is Millet LRS-1, and has worked well for me. BTW have chrono'd loads up to 3000+ by bumping powder up .2gr at a time without having pressure issues. Want to try some other bullets, but having such good luck with the A-Max and Nosler just have not tried.

On cleaning, seems everyone has what works for them - what I did(do) is clean the barrel before I ever fire it with some Tetra Gun lube, then shoot it. Clean with BoreTech to get the first layer of carbon out, the WipeOut foam (after the WipeOut accelerator) and let it sit for an hour or so. First patch is blue, repeat and next time it is all clean. Started the Tetra Gun after a smith friend suggested it on pistols (fire and swab with Tetra Gun or CLP) and shoot...it has worked for me.

Fantastic...thank you sir. I'm looking to stretch it out to 700 this week and see what it can do.

Delaware_Ken
08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Good Morning,

Great looking rig. It should be a lights out shooter in 600 yard factory class BR. I can see one in my future. Could you tell me what the loads are for the 140's and the 120's that are listed on the Hornady ammo box? It sounds like they could be a great place to start for reloading.

Ken

MikeCTX
08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
the box I just looked at shows 41.5 gr of H 4350 for the 140 A-Max, using Federal 210M primer (which is what I use). This does NOT match what is in the 8th ed of the Hornady Reloading Handbook, so please work up to that load.

the 120's started with H-4350 also (do not have any with that powder) but now use 39 gr of Varget and Fed 210M - Note: the COAL is shorter for the 120's on the factory loads 2.715 vs 2.810

Panozguy
08-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Good Morning,

Great looking rig. It should be a lights out shooter in 600 yard factory class BR.
Ken

I hope so!

That1guy
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
My 12 6.5 CM LRP shoots the AMAX the best. Using the box/published load. I've also tried 142SMK and 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. The Bergers arent worth the trouble to find the good seating depth. Never could get them to shoot better than the Amax. (the 120's shot better than the 140's @ 100 when the gun was new, but I havent shot anymore in a while.)

Now that my rifle has ~300 round through it, it's shooting better than ever. Put 4 rounds in nearly the same hole, and 1 shooter induced flier using the Factory 140 amax ammo at 100 yards. (first time I had tried it, just to see how it shot). The SMK is even shooting a bit better than it was before the barrel was good and broken in. That makes me happy, since I can go down to Sierra and buy factory seconds cheaper than AMAX's.

I have hits to 1214 yards on steel, and shot my first F-Class 600 yard match with it. The 3rd relay of the day (and most windy) I shot a 194-4x from a Harris bipod. This rifle has far exceeded my expectations. So much so that I have one in .243 on the way. :D

Panozguy
08-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I put another 20 rounds down the pipe yesterday. It shot really well. The best 3 shot group was .505" at a measured 100 yards. I've now got 40 pieces of brass to work on reloading. I freaking love this gun.

vegas steve
08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
you work up a good handload and i bet you'll see one hole groups.

Panozguy
08-13-2012, 07:51 PM
you work up a good handload and i bet you'll see one hole groups.

I'm working on it. Everything I've seen says that the Hornady factory match is pretty good but I'm willing to put the work in to see if I can't better it.

Panozguy
08-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Took the LRP to the range today. It's a half MOA shooter from 400 to 700 all day...I can post pics if you're interested.

teebirdhyzer
08-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice rifle man. Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder if any of you Creedmoor guys would swap me a once fired piece of brass that has not been full length sized for a couple of new pieces of brass. I have 50 new/prepped Hornady Creedmoor brass, but would like a fired one from a factory rifle to use for setting my headspace when my new barrel arrives. I don't have any buds that shoot a creedmoor, so I would send you a couple of new pieces of brass and a stamped return envelope if you would make the swap with me.

handirifle
08-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I think the whole point of a once fired case for headspacing is from YOUR chamber. No two chambers are identical.

Panozguy
08-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Nice rifle man. Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder if any of you Creedmoor guys would swap me a once fired piece of brass that has not been full length sized for a couple of new pieces of brass. I have 50 new/prepped Hornady Creedmoor brass, but would like a fired one from a factory rifle to use for setting my headspace when my new barrel arrives. I don't have any buds that shoot a creedmoor, so I would send you a couple of new pieces of brass and a stamped return envelope if you would make the swap with me.

Yes, I'd be happy to do that. I've got 80 pieces of once fired brass that I'm storing up to reload. Send me a PM and I'll give you my address details.