PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Dimensions

Cycler
08-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I have a Model 16 FLHSS (left handed, hinged floorplate) in .243 Win. It's one of the new Accutrigger/Accustock, center feed guns. It has always had trouble feeding rounds from the magazine, typically releasing the new round too soon which pop up and override the bolt face so I have to retract the bolt a fraction of an inch to get it lined up to chamber properly.

I talked to Fred at SSS and he told me the feed lips should be 0.385" apart at the back of the magazine box and 0.360" at the front. Mine measure 0.410" and 0.387" respectively. I called Savage and the woman I talked to didn't have the proper dimensions available to her but is sending me a replacement box at no cost.

I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem and was the magazine box the cause? I wonder if my magazine was sized for a short magnum round instead of a .308 Win based case. Thoughts?

cgeorgemo
08-10-2012, 10:22 PM
well the dimensions don't sound quite right for a cartridge quite as wide as the 300 WSM which is over .5 inches.
I'd measure my magazine for you but I just sold my 16 300 WSM last week...

Cycler
08-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah, but the lips have to be closer together than the cartridge OD. My loaded .243 Win cases mike 0.470" just ahead of the extraction grove and 0.452" just behind the shoulder. I guess i need to know just how much smaller is right.