PDA

View Full Version : Headspace Question

supergolfer18
08-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I have a question regarding headspace. My brass after firing 2 times is only reading 1.617". Using Lee Collet Die only. The same was true with my factory barrel in the same gun. SAAMI states as 1.634" (having 0.007 tolerance) . Chamber minimum is 1.632-1.642"(this is with the 0.02 tolerance). I am using the Hornady Headspace Bushing with my calipers

So my question is why might my brass reading 0.01" below SAAMI min for the case measurements? Is this normal? This was true both with my Savage factory barrel and now a custom Match barrel.

hunter540
08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I went through the same delima with my 250 savage. The headspace bushings are based on set diameter openings to accommodate various cases, and are used for comparison purposes only. The point where the bushing meets the case may not be the actual datum line for that particular cartridge. But, it will tell you the comparative measurement between that point and the same point on another case fired or unfired, sized or re-sized.

acemisser
08-10-2012, 07:10 PM
A friend and I were just talking about this and we beleive it to be the collet die..
I find I get better accuracy as well as case life,when full length resizing anyway..
I only advantage I see of neck siezing is it is a faster loading method...I don't bother
with it any more..I know some bench shooters that never neck size either....