PDA

View Full Version : Choate Varmint Stock bedding question

Nandy
08-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Im bedding the above stock to a 110 action. I will make a switch barrel out of this rifle. I wonder if I have to fill the entire void in front of the recoil lug or just fill it half with playdoh and then just fill the other half with bedding. Im not sure if it will make a difference or not. There is no sense to use more bedding material (jbweld) if it serves no purpose. Here is the picture of the area I am talking about.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn215/nandy_temp/2012-08-07232018edit.png

PS - I have read much about the pro/cons and such about bedding this type stock and I have decided to do it. I write this so we dont turn this thread into another direction from the bedding question.

stangfish
08-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Wrap tape around everything from the barrel nut foreward

82boy
08-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I would not fill the void half way full of playdoh, why not just fill it full of epoxie? (Thats what I would do.) If your going to fill the void with something use something solid, that will not shrink, like a block of wood, or a chuck of lead.

Nandy
08-08-2012, 04:16 PM
The play-do is just a temporary thing, sorta like a dam to hold the jbweld until it hardens.

CharlieNC
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
There should be very little clearance between the recoil lug and the bedding block, and I would be worried that you may get a very thin layer of JB there that will not hold and flake off at variable rate, potentially causing some problems. I don't think filling the other area you are looking at will add any benefit. In short, you may cause more problems than you gain benefit. But I will be interested in your results.