PDA

View Full Version : Trouble feeding rounds in Savage 10 Precision carbine

beradon
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
First trip to the range with a Savage 10 Precision Carbine (.223 rem) and had some feeding problems. About half the time the bolt would ride over the round instead of stripping it out of the magazine and into the chamber. It seems like the magazine doesn't sit high enough in the action. Anyone else having this problem with DM Savages? Bad mag maybe? Thanks in advance!

82boy
12-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I found this same problem when I reviewed this rifle for this site. This is a problem with many different models of Savages in 204 Ruger and 223 Remington. The best fix is to have a gunsmith cut a AR15 style feed cone into the back of the barrel. SSS can cut the cone without removing the barrel. Some people have bent the mag lips with some luck, and fixed the problem, but if you don't get it right you may need to buy a new magazine.

beradon
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Mine seems to be more of a magazine problem. The problem I'm having is the bolt sliding over the round instead of it hitting the cartridge rim and pushing it forward. If the round sat just a little higher in the mag I think it would be fine but the rifle is only a week old and I don't want to start bending feed-lips and altering the mag unless Savage tells me to try it. I'll call them and ask if they have a fix. They market the Savage 10 Precision Carbine (accustock) as a LE rifle, a tactical rifle and they're going to have problems if this is common issue. I'll report back after I speak with them in case anyone else is having the same problem

82boy
12-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Make sure you have the magazine locked in. It is also possible to jamb the magazine in where it sticks, but it is not locked it. I found the best way to place the mag in was to do the front first and then push up in the back.

PBinWA
12-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I had similar problems with my 10 FCP on my first time to the range with it. I haven't had a chance to use it much lately but will be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Woodser
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Pull the mag box out of the stock and file about 20-30 thousands off the front of it. The front is being pushed down by the receiver
and the box is too low. Have seen this problem twice, and filing fixed it both times.

z71rat
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Pull the mag box out of the stock and file about 20-30 thousands off the front of it.

Just for clarification purposes... you do mean the "top front" of the magazine body... correct??

DK

Woodser
12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, should have made that more clear, sorry.

joebogey
12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I've had the same problem in my Steven 308. But mine has been caused by the way I loaded the center feed mag. It seemed that it was hard to load the mag, but I just wrote it off as a new gun. What was really happening was that I was not loading the rounds far enough back into the mag which wouldn't allow them to sit up high enough for the bolt to catch them. As long as I load the rounds all the way to the rear of the mag, like I should be, it never fails to pick the next one up.

beradon
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
The transition from an internal mag Remmy 700 to a DM Savage caused the feeding problems with mine - No excuse, just operator error. In some instances the mag wasn't fully seated and other times I didn't pull the bolt all the way back. Just a matter of getting use to a new rifle.