PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maine! New 110E

Jenkums
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Hello, I just bought my first bolt action, it is a Savage 110E. I dont really know much else about it, I know some people have said to post more info about the rifle but I dont know anymore as Im fairly new to rifles and hunting in general. Im not sure the difference between the flat or round action and not sure what kind of stock. I would appreciate any info people can offer, or info you can help me discern about my new rifle. Im looking to find out about any known issues about this model, or known preferred upgrades or recommended changes or modifications. In advance, Thank you! :)

Jenkums
08-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Im sorry I forgot to say it is chambered in .30-06

Clint KY
08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Welcome - I can help with one thing - Flat or Round - the top of the action right behind the ejection port - is it flat (old style) or round (new style). I don't think if makes a difference other than which scope mounts you need.

As far as upgrades, you must decide what you are going to do with the rifle. That will go a long way to figuring out what will work and what won't. (i.e. - you don't want a 30" bull barrel if it is to be a woods gun.)

One unwritten rule is that you MUST post pictures of before and after any modifications so we can tell you how much we like what you've done. Keep us up to date on how is is progressing.

Jenkums
08-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Ah ok, it is a flat model, however I didnt know that is why it mattered it actually came with a mounted 3-9x40 scope. I am going to be using it pretty much exclusively for a hunting gun. I will most likely take it out once a year (with the price of ammo cant afford more, got a nice remington 597 for fun shooting.) before hunting season to make sure it is sighted and running good. Mostly it will be used in the woods to shoot out across fields maybe in the woods depending on where I am. And Ill just go ahead and start out on the right foot with an early as is/ how I bought it pic! lol Here it is.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/the_anti_rap/CIMG3112.jpg

Clint KY
08-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Nice looking - If you are going to use it as a woods gun, put a Rifle Basix trigger in it, clean up the nicks in the stock and be done with it.

Jenkums
08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Now when you say clean up the nicks, how exactly? with other rifles like my marlin 336 I traded for this it just looks like wood with finish on it. This however almost looks like cheap wood covered with a paint or decal but wood looking still. Is this just what this kind of wood looks like with this finish? could I simply sand the whole thing and refinish it?

EAW
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I'd use some Old English Furniture polish. Old English is pretty much a stain so be careful. After you darken the nicks you could use a little bees wax over the scratches. Or you could use some high-end wood putty if you really feel like getting picky about it. Don't get any of it near the barrel you don't want it drying and touching the barrel, thus changing the harmonics.

cgeorgemo
08-08-2012, 02:23 AM
For a woods hunting rifle I'd say adjust the trigger if it needs it, sight it in with your hunting round of choice, put it in the safe till hunting season rolls around, and post pics of the kills after season is over.

Jenkums
08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys, I have to say I am VERY happy with this rifle. I did not realize this gun has a trigger that is acctually designed to be adjustble!! I have adjusted it and tested the saftey and slamming it around and I have a feather light trigger that seems as safe as possible. Thanks for the help guys I think the only other thing I will do is refinish the stock or maybe replace it if I get the money. And I will be sure to post pics later this year if I get my deer, just dont expect any trophies. I would prefer to shoot the youngest deer I can, I dont care at all about racks I just want nice tender meat :)

thomae
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
I would prefer to shoot the youngest deer I can, I dont care at all about racks I just want nice tender meat :)

:amen:

Jenkums
08-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Lol thanks Thomae. Im actually a professionally trained restaurant chef (left that job field though) so quality of food usually takes precedence for me lol.

Jenkums
08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
I was also wondering if anyone would be able to help me tell how old my rifle is. I cant seem to find out how you tell bu the SN is E409654.

thomae
08-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I would guess it is at least pre-1989.

For more information on how to date, take a look at my post: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?16775-Savage-Rifle-Date-of-Manufacture

As for refinishing your stock, I stripped mine and then used Minwax PA cherry stain to get a little red, and Dark Walnut Watco Danish oil finish. Takes forever to dry, but is easily repairable if (ok, when) it gets scratched in the field. It is also important to make sure the inside of the stock is also sealed against moisture. (It always seems to precipitate when I'm hunting.)

Jenkums
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
thomae: I know very little to nothing about finishing wood ingeneral let alone a stock so bear with me. However Im pretty sure I can do it no problem. I really like the sound of the cherry stain, I like a dark cherry looking wood stock. My questions are how do I "strip" the stock? Do I just sand it down or what? Second, do I use oil finish after I stain it or is that a second option?

243LPR
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Looks like a moose slayer to me. What part of Me. are you in? I lived up there for over 8yrs in the Presque Isle/Limestone area. Really miss the grouse hunting.

Jenkums
08-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Wow! small world that is my neck of the woods too! lol I was born in Bangor and have lived most of my life in Fort Fairfield where I am now. I would love for it to be a moose killer but dont have the money to enter the lottery and then pay for the licence if I win.