PDA

View Full Version : Finally starting to get serious

tatersalad
08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
I have had a 111 in .30-06 for a while now, and had mounted a cheaper scope (Bushnell) and that was it. I finally decided to step things up, but I'll have to do it in stages. I decided to start with glass, and then pick up other pieces during deer season. I'll do most of the heavy duty changes in January.

So, after much research I ordered an SWFA SS 6x42 scope. This is kind of a compromise as this is currently, and probably for a good while, my hunting rifle as well. I ordered Warne Maxima bases and rings as well. Mounted the scope last evening, and promptly ordered an EGW 20 MOA picatinny mount this morning. The scope mounted, but I have 0 adjustability forward and backward. Since I have decided that I'm serious about this rifle, I decided to fix this situation prior to sighting in this weekend. New mount should be here Thursday and I'll remount the scope then.

Future changes will include a heavier barrel, it has the 22" sporter barrel now. Also a better stock as I don't care for the tupperware. Not sure which stock I'll go with, probably Manners or McMillian.

Should be a lot of fun, I'll probably have plenty of questions for you quys!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-e7Kp9P893xM/UCBLKZCEk7I/AAAAAAAACT0/CRLyy014T30/s1024/100_5805.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wyFOnNLWR98/UCBK9jAV2JI/AAAAAAAACTk/0dhglQljiig/s1024/100_5804.JPG

darkker
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Glad you are having fun.
I question why you put the 20 MOA base on it though?
The 10X SS has more than enough adjustment to get a 308 to 1,000 yards. Don't know what your loads are doing, but at the very least you should not be slower than the 308..

tatersalad
08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
thanks darkker. I had to order another base and figured while I was at it....

Figured I had plenty of adjustment to use the 20 moa, not sure that the rifle will have the 6x SS on it long term so I went ahead and got it. Just trying to plan ahead, hope I didn't buy myself trouble ;-)

Just shooting factory loads right now, plan on reloading in the near future

tatersalad
08-10-2012, 07:05 AM
EGW Base arrived yesterday, Got it mounted and the scope back on and boresighted last night. Ready for the range tomorrow!

The EGW base is STOUT! it runs the full length of the 111 receiver but doesn't over hang the front. Very serious piece of gear, I'm very happy with it. No gaps at all when mounting, blue loctite on the screws was all I did to it.

Looking forward to getting the rifle sighted in and seeing how the 165 TSX Federal loads do. If accuracy isn't what it needs to be I'll just pick up a couple different loadings and go back down. I plan on starting to reload in the near future, but I'm limited to factory loads for the time being.

jonbearman
08-10-2012, 11:07 PM
There is a bargain on here right now.It is a bushnell 4200 6-24x40 and for 300.00,its a steal. I would look into a mcgowen through Northland shooters supply,they shoot real accurate and the price is right,under 300.00 plus shipping.,Then I would go with the rifle basix sav-2 which adjusts from 2.5 lbs to mere ounce's. Northland sells them too. As a matter of fact Jim can set you up with everything you need including the tools which are priced right. If you need a stock then try stockys for fast couteous service and a good selection.Stockys.com