PDA

View Full Version : Availability of a replacement stock?

sims5
12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Looking at getting a new Savage 22-250 with the heavy blue barrel and the black synthetic stock. I was looking around at Boyds stocks and Stockys Stocks at if I'm reading the info correctly there stocks won't fit the current Savages being produced. Am I not reading this correctly?
Would like a nice laminate stock that doesn't cost a fortune and would work well for varmint work.

Another question? Can the synthetic stock be painted? Tried to do a search for that one but didn't come up with any how to's.

rjtfroggy
12-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Call Stockey's I'm pretty sure they get the stocks for the newer versions. Boyd's from what I can find only does factory sporter barrel channels not bull, so a lot of hand work to open up.
Yes you could paint a laminate, but why would you, just finish with tung oil or polyurethane for a nice wood like finish.

GUNFANATIC
12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
No, he asked about painting a synthetic stock. Seems most people use Krylon Fusion as well as a few others with good results. This is probably what you're looking for.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,24759.0.html

rjtfroggy
12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Sorry didn't see that he said synthetic.
Simple answer is yes just scuff it up a little and rattle can your favorite color on. Rustolium makes a paint for plastics in an assortment of colors.

GaCop
12-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Standard Krylon camo pains work well on the tupperware stocks. Degrease well with isopropal alcohol after sanding down the mold lines. For durability, it's best to wait 24 hours between colors and clear coating. I usually do two matt clear coats.

82boy
12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
SSS has nice stocks for the money, they are a bit more money that an stocky or a boyds, but you get pillars installed and the stock is bedded.