PDA

View Full Version : Question about a new build

Grizzly2279
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I am wanting to build a 340 Weatherby but I am concerned about the overall length of the round. Have any of you guys built one in this caliber or anything that is similar in length? I am worried about it being able to fit in the magazine.

Thanks for any advice.
Cary Howard

ellobo
08-07-2012, 02:28 AM
I would say that if that Weatherby COL is longer than the COL of a 30-06 you may have a problem.

el Lobo

efm77
08-07-2012, 11:09 AM
If it's a stagger feed action it will not fit the magazine without a lot of modifications. However, if it's a newer centerfeed magazine I think it will work. The magazine opening in the bottom of the action is longer than the stagger feeds but the mag box is still the same length. If you can cut a slot on the front of the mag box for the bullet points to stick through, it should work. I've been contemplating this for a while but have had too many other irons in the fire to go through with it yet. I did test my center feed with a 300 Weatherby round (same length as the 340) and it almost fits in the magazine. It looks as if I cut a notch in the front of the box to clear the bullet it will work as the nose of the bullet is still behind the feed ramp.