PDA

View Full Version : Test firing a new build

karlrudin
08-04-2012, 02:13 AM
I have just installed my new barrel on build. Have installed new bolt head, firing pin assembly. Firing pin protrusion was within specs @ 0.056. Head spaced with go gauge, bolt closed. Added 1 layer of clear tape to base of go gauge to at 0.003. bolt didn't close. While i wait for my stock to come in next week, i was thinking of how i am supposed to test fire this weapon. i was going to use factory ammo to check with. My build is in 7mm08. The gun was originally 7mmMag. Any suggestions on how to test fire this weapon would be appreciated. Want to be safe even after checking and rechecking everything. We all know that Mr. Murphy is always hanging around just waiting for a chance to work his magic. and in this case a disaster.

handirifle
08-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Why not bolt it back in the factory stock? If you just want to make sure it's safe.

karlrudin
08-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Plastic stock barrel channel is for a skinny barrel, which i was going to sell off. So hogging out the stock to accept my shilen bull barrel would be a lot of work and i don't think there would be anything left of the sides of the stock.

wch
08-04-2012, 05:20 AM
My 'smith ties them down to an old truck tire and fires them, sometimes using a lanyard on the trigger for the "hot ones".

nsaqam
08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
A whole lot easier just to cut the fore end off of the cheap plastic stock and use it to test fire the rifle.

They're not worth anything anyway.

You can still check feed and function with the mutilated stock too.

BTW, your FP protrusion may be within spec but I'd shorten it to around .035".

jgerrington
08-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Shoulder that bad boy and pull the trigger. Have faith in your work.

bythebook
08-04-2012, 09:17 AM
My last one I did I just put a round in it and held the barrel and the tang, pulled the trigger and it went bang. It was a 7mm Rem.

Jackpine
08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
I did put on a full face shield when I tested my first build.

DanSavage
08-04-2012, 02:09 PM
A whole lot easier just to cut the fore end off of the cheap plastic stock and use it to test fire the rifle.

They're not worth anything anyway.

You can still check feed and function with the mutilated stock too.

BTW, your FP protrusion may be within spec but I'd shorten it to around .035".

Not trying to high jack here but what are the benefit's of shorter firing spring protrusion? Mine are from the factory at .056 (short action) and .061 (long action).

nsaqam
08-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Guess I just trust Fred (sharpshooter) when he says there is no point to going longer than ~.035".

The primer anvil will stop the FP before it gets to .056" anyway.

parkj5
08-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Savage recomends .050-.055" for firing pin Protrusion.

thomae
08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Sharpshooter explains it well here:

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?143-Firing-Pin-Protrusion-Data)

nsaqam
08-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Great article Thomae!

I especially like the wire stripper idea.

thomae
08-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't do much but compile a bunch of posts by others. I am glad that my work is useful.
I like the wire stripper idea also. I spent a bunch of time with a cutoff wheel grinding out a precise slot in a piece of 1/8" steel to use as a compression tool, and it worked, but when I read Blue Avenger's idea and saw his photo, I had a "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?" moment. I was so set on fabricating a tool that I didn't realize that I had something that would work already in my toolbox.

Now, :focus:

karlrudin
08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
As a follow up, i did carve down the plastic stock the rifle came with and took it to the range. I ratchet strapped it down to the bench and fired it with a length of string. Factory Privi ammo. No problems. Finished the day with the Privi and 50 handloads. No problems. Only thing i can say was a problem is the headspace is tight. You have to MOVE the handle down. Tight fit on factory and full length sized cases for the handloads. Thanks for the input y'all!

nwkman
08-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Shoulder that bad boy and pull the trigger. Have faith in your work.

+1 on that!

Leonardo63
08-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I just loaded up and pulled the trigger without a single thought about it. but I did have by buddy come over just in case :) I told him if it goes badly your job is to call 911.... Of course, he couldn't wait to shoot it when it didn't blow up.

03mossy
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I just loaded up and pulled the trigger without a single thought about it. but I did have by buddy come over just in case :) I told him if it goes badly your job is to call 911.... Of course, he couldn't wait to shoot it when it didn't blow up.

I picked up my brother and told him the same thing lol. I shut my eyes turned my head and pulled the trigger.

karlrudin
08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
I took along my shooting partner, my daughter. Just in case something went wrong, wanted someone around to dial 911. Been through a gun exploding before from bad reloads. Still got the brass in my face and skull. Better safe than sorry! But everything turned out great. Now I can get down to some load development.

karlrudin
09-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Update. Finally got my stock and other goodies finished on my build. Very satisfied. Thanks for all the help y'all. http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlrudin/7984885359/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlrudin/7984898442/in/photostream