PDA

View Full Version : Best press's

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dennis
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Who has the best press? RCBS, Lyman, etc. I will be loading 308's, 22-250's, and 243's. I am getting started and decided I am going to piece a system rather than buy a kit.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking at electronic scales and this is the main reason I am going to piece a system together.

Will probably load about 200 to 300 per month, mainly 308's.

stevec
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
LEE has a classic cast press for about $90

It is very very stout. I have had one four several years now and I dont see me ever wearing it out.

Steve

Balljoint
12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
RCBS single stage and Dillon 550B have both use both

viper9696
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Lee Classic cast great press and better price you cant go wrong

Uncle Jack
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I first started reloading in 1959....have used RCBS presses and dies most of my life.

This is the best press I have ever used:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=265719

pa hog
12-15-2009, 11:01 PM
+1 Lee Classic Cast

bythebook
12-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I first started reloading in 1959....have use RCBS presses and dies most of my life.

This is the best press I have ever used:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=265719

+1 for the Forester Co-ax press I wish I had not waited so long to get one and I have used a lot of them over 45 years of loading.

Jamie
12-15-2009, 11:58 PM
The Forster Co-Ax is the best thing going. I have used all of the others listed above and while they work well, the Forster is much better.

BobT
12-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am looking at electronic scales and this is the main reason I am going to piece a system together.

The electronic scales are nice but I like to have a beam scale around too, in fact I have a couple of them and use them frequently to check the electronic and each other as well.

As far as presses go the two I have used the most are the RCBS Rock Chucker and the Lyman Orange Crusher, not much difference to me, I also have a Lee hand press that really comes in handy on occasion. I have never used the Forster but I would like to try one some day.

Bob

GaCop
12-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm loading on a Dillon 550 I bought back in 89 when I was heavy into IPSC and tactical matches. My single stage is an RCBS Junior that is probably 40 years old and still going strong. I agree with BobT, I use a Pact digital scale with an RCBS 1010 for backup and cross checking accuracy.

kleeber
12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
One thing to keep in mind about electronic scales is that they don't like freezing temperatures--that must toast the load cell. At least, that's what the manual for my RCBS chargemaster says. My main loading space is in an unheated garage, so I recently got a beam scale to use out there when I bring the electronic back into the house for the winter.

+2 on the Forster Co-Ax. I've been using one for 15+ years (along with redding, rcbs, dillon) and I just recently bought another for convenience. Other than the Dillon for high volume stuff, the Co-Ax is what I use. One drawback to the Co-Ax is that if you are loading for cartridges with very different base diameters ( .25 acp, .308, 338 Lapua) you would need to change out the jaws. The standard jaws work OK for 223--belted mag, so if you are staying in that range the Co-Ax would be a fine choice. One nice thing about the Co-Ax (and Dillon) is that the spent primers drop down through a hole in the press so everything stays clean.

Oh, and get yourself a separate hand primer. I like the new RCBS's with the universal case holder.

Best of luck,
Kevin

Forester
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I have a 550B, and a Forster Co-ax. I used to have a Rockchucker but gave it to my dad. I have also used the Lee Classic Cast.

I would personally not attempt to load precision rifle ammo on a 550B, but it is great for higher volume loading.

Of the 3 single stages, the Forster is head and shoulders ahead for me, with the Classic Cast just edging out the Rockchucker because of price and the 100% control of spent primers. From a manufacturing quality standpoint the Lee and RCBS are about equal to me.

Just a note: the comments about the Lee Classic Cast do not transfer to any other Lee press. It is the only Lee press I would recommend for anything more important than a doorstop.

I used to use an electronic scale often but they just are not designed for trickling up powder charges. They seem like a great idea but there are too many things that impact their accuracy. I use a beam scale for everything except weight sorting cases or bullets.

Dennis
12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
What about the RCBS Chargemaster, or the one from Lyman? Are they pretty accurate and quick?

Forester
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
THE RCBS Chargemaster gets pretty good reviews from most I know who have one. Personally the electronic scales makes it not for me.

You can pretty easily outpace these automatic dispensers though with a balance beam and a powder dump set to dump a tenth or two low. It is a more intensive activity than pushing a button and letting the machine work, but in exchange for your work you get better accuracy and a faster process.

hitman49
12-16-2009, 02:00 PM
My father has the RCBS Charge Master and I had a Lyman DPS but have since sold it to Sinman. My father doesn't load a whole lot and when he does it is for hunting so he doesn't need a bunch of rounds at once. I helped him load some rounds for a trip to Montana in October and the Charge Master was accurate 99% of the time. It did throw some charges that went over but not too many. We were loading 300 win mag and 338 win mag rounds so there was a lot of powder that needed to come out and it does take a while. If your not in a hurry they work but if I was going to load several hundred rounds I would just use a dump and trickler with a good scale. The DPS that I had worked well also but I tend to load at least 200 rounds at a time and it was just too slow to keep up. It did work good for working up loads for a new rifle though because I didn't have to worry about adjusting a dump, just type in the numbers and hit dispense.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
RCBS Rockchucker. Resize 200 to 300 at a time for my .308 M1A. Wore out a Lee press doing crimped in primers. Single stage works best for me because I like the "feel" of every case being resized. Lee Auto Prime for the same rerason. Feel the primer seat and know it's where it's suppose to be and if the primer pocket is the slightest bit loose. Seen too many progressive loaded rounds that "didn't get sized and charged. "One" slam fire in a M1A spells trouble. ;)
And the Customer Service at RCBS is "the best"!! Never paid for replacement or broken parts from RCBS. They won't let you. ;D

Dennis
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Single stage works best for me

I have hear the above from several. The press's with turrets doesn't appeal to many that reload mainly rifle rounds!

Might get two single stage presses!!!

Interesting comments above on the digital scales.

Nor Cal Mikie
12-17-2009, 09:59 PM
My shooting buddy has a Forster Co Ax as well as 2 digital scales. Just got a new Pact. Loves all of them but hasn't convinced me to change. I had a RCBS digital, didn't care for the set up time, never gave it a chance so I sold it. Just an "Old Dude" stuck in his ways. I can still shoot bug holes so I guess "that's" what matters. ;)

Apache
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
RCBS Rocker, Lee Classic and a B-Square Magnum Arbor press for my inline die sets.

Dennis
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I have seen everything recommended "EXCEPT" Lyman products/kits!

What you thought on Lyman presses/reloading kits?