PDA

View Full Version : New Member With A Late '90's 110FP - Scope Mount Questions

neverquit
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Greetings All,
I have 110FP in .308. It was one of those Dick's Sporting Goods combo package with the Tasco scope. I bought it because the rifle is awesome, and at the time, the price was right. I have since moved around a lot and the gun has remained mainly stored. Needless to say, the scope and mounts are bottom of the barrel, I don't even know what Dick's put on it, not marked, no labels.

I want to upgrade the entire optics setup. Being out of the game for awhile, can anyone recommend a more up to date setup. Again, I think I bought it in 1996-97, cannot remember exactly.

Oddly enough, the Tasco actually did OK under 200 yards. I just need to move on with the times, and do it correctly. It is originally mounted by the part time youngsters at Dick's at the time, so the rifle is not living up to it's potential. Cost is not an issue.

Also, any trigger treatment recommendations as well?

Kindest Regards

Dennis
08-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Nightforce or Swarvoski are the only two I use! There are many scopes out there now that are good.

It really depends what you are going to do with the rifle. Hunt or shoot matches. Give us an idea and your average distance you will be shooting. I personally like a 42 power Nightforce shooting long distance matches, but this is not the scope to hunt with.

Swarvoski makes some of the best hunting scopes.

Do you have an accu-trigger or the old style trigger?

neverquit
08-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Mainly target range shooting. Old style trigger. 100-500 yards (if lucky) The main issue I am having what about mounts? Love Swarvoski, but not sure I will go that $$. Any mount options you can recommend?

Will this work?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/857545/badger-ordnance-1-piece-maximized-picatinny-style-20-moa-elevated-scope-base-savage-110-series-long-action-round-rear-axis-steel-matte

Or This?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/983111/nightforce-1-piece-20-moa-picatinny-style-scope-base-savage-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-matte?cm_vc=subv1857545

Just does not look right to me, but I am out of the loop.

devildogandboy
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
you really don't need the 20moa mounts unless you plan on shooting further than 600yds. how about these mounts and save some money, they have the 20moa also if your set on that.
http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=180
or these! their both good products and you can get them from one of out sponsors.
http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=159
when you get to the scope part, i like Burris, very clear optics and great price!

Willoughby
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Millet makes a very good scope for the money
I have NF -Leopould-Vortex- & others
my low end Millet really impresses me for a 10th of the cost
but if $ is not an issue - then NF & steel mounts is the way to go
any cheap aluiminum mount will work for most applications
steel mounts for more serious applictions LE ect,...
triggers are a personal thing -I like light-
accutriggers are great -modded
sav2 & sss gets a lot of good comments as well

Jamie
08-02-2012, 10:32 AM
How old is the rifle? Savage swapped from a flat rear reciever to a round rear reciever, just make sure you are ordering the right style base for it.

As for the two listed above, quality wise they are both excellent.

There are a lot of scopes to choose from today that offer exceptional value. If you are going over the $1K mark then look at Swarovski. Nightforce are good optics but seem to be over priced. If you are buying a Leupold the go VX3. Anything under that line is not a value. You will get better glass from other companies for the same or less money. The Mark 4 series are built to heavy duty standards but if you are not jumping from roof tops and fighting for your life then you are wasting money, the VX3 series have better optics.

The best value out there is the Vortex Viper series by far. I purchased one of the plain Viper series 6.5-20x50 (they make multiples) and to my eye it is clearer than my 8-25x50 Leupold VX3 Varmint series scope and for several hundred dollars cheaper.

Some will agree with me, some will not. These are just my opinions from owning a lot of different scopes and dealing with optics on a daily basis.

neverquit
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
The EGW 1-PIECE PICATINNY looks good. Not sure the DNZ will work, says short action. Also the EGW is out of stock.

Copy that on the Burris, great value. There are all kinds of options with scopes, and I just need to decide how much I am going to spend. Saving some money on the mounts is a good idea, out that towards a scope. Going to check the EGW & DNZ websites and see what they have going on.

If anyone has a 110FP all set up, would appreciate a pic, if possible. I want to see a successful system.

neverquit
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Willoughby,
Millet is on the list. Liking the Burris Fullfield II E1 in 4.5-14 power. I really like that Leupold, but intrigued by Mueller for some reason - not just the price.

http://muelleroptics.com/mt852544

Jamie,
I bought it in '96 or '97, cannot remember exactly. All the receipts etc., are in storage right now.

This looks like it will work.
http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-flat-back-picatinny-scope-mount/

Jamie
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Yep, the flat rear should be correct. I have used the EGW bases with Leupold PRW rings with zero issues on about 8 builds now. Extremely reliable setup.

The scope info still stands.

neverquit
08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Jamie,
Awesome, thank you for the tips. I appreciate hearing from someone with successful builds. When I get it built, I will post a pic.

CAPTBEACH
08-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Your rifle deserves as good as you can give her...your budget dictates your decision...

Scope Rail...you cannot go wrong with an EGW 20MOA ONE PC RAIL

Rings...again...cant go wrong with a set of BURRIS X-TREME RINGS

Scope...

Low end... SWFA 10X through 20X fixed power scopes $299...or a Midway Exclusive Weaver Tactical Grand Slam at $299 BOTH ARE AWESOME LOW END GLASS

Mid range VORTEX VIPER, BURRIS TACTICAL, WEAVER TACTICAL

High end...VORTEX, USO, Premier, NF

neverquit
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I am glad I came here because I learned about the EGW. My main concern is the rail/mount. The way it came from Dick's Sporting Goods was absolute crap and frankly, a crime. To put that Tasco with crap mounts, no rail, on that fine machined rifle? But it was on sale that way, I think they had to get rid of some Tasco's that were not selling. I think I paid $350 total in the late '90's, so I do not mind investing some money in rail/mount/scope now, all these years later. The rifle is brand new, if I put about 75 rounds through it all these years that would be stretching it.

sniper15545
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
EGW on piece base Burris signature zee rings and a sightron SIII 8x32x56, Which would just under a thousand dollars for everything.

drybean
08-02-2012, 02:49 PM
EGW on piece base Burris signature zee rings and a sightron SIII 8x32x56, Which would just under a thousand dollars for everything.

plus 1

drybean