PDA

View Full Version : 110 FCP-HS 338 Lapua = cow patties

livnpaintball
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Well its time to vent, had the gun since November, tried almost everything out there for components, dies, powder, ect. I have come to the conclusion this gun barrel is pure crap. There, I said it and came to terms with it. Now I have to find a good barrel for it, either Brux or Krieger unless someone has a better idea.

stangfish
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. What model and Brand of scope?

sharpshooter
08-01-2012, 01:12 AM
What makes you think that the barrel is bad?

sparky123321
08-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Love mine. I've had no problem achieving 1/2 MOA with several different bullets.

Willoughby
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I"d trade you a NIB FCP H&S 300WM for the 338 cow patty

darkker
08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
If you don't list your components, procedures, & results; we really can't help you.
Not to group folks into classes, but there is another gent who is having "trouble" with his "barrel" on here. He tried A load, didn't work, switched powder and bullets. THAT load didn't work, and now wants to cut-up his barrel.

If you want specific help, you gotta give us specifics about your problem. Throwing money at barrels is all well and good, but if the issue is NOT the barrel; buying a new one won't help you.

BoilerUP
08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
...there's always sending it back to Savage for a new barrel under warranty, if indeed the barrel is actually the problem...

aimatit
08-01-2012, 04:49 PM
I would trade it for the new 110 FCP 300 win. Mag. , with the new projectiles from Berger, you can achieve near 338 performance. The cost to feed is about 1/2 or less.

snowpro440
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I have found Bruno's shooters supply has Heavy varmint .338 31" Krieger barrels in stock , other than that it could be 6 months till you see one. You can make a long range hammer out of this thing. Oh , they also only had 3 left so I wouldnt wait too long,they have a #5 bull sporter barrel too.

EricF517
08-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Call Savage and send it back to them. I had the same problem with my FCP McM. I sent it to them, had in back in like 3 weeks and now it holds 1/2 moa all day long out to 300y. Probably further, but haven't had time to get it on paper.

livnpaintball
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
If you don't list your components, procedures, & results; we really can't help you.
Not to group folks into classes, but there is another gent who is having "trouble" with his "barrel" on here. He tried A load, didn't work, switched powder and bullets. THAT load didn't work, and now wants to cut-up his barrel.

If you want specific help, you gotta give us specifics about your problem. Throwing money at barrels is all well and good, but if the issue is NOT the barrel; buying a new one won't help you.

It's kinda funny, I'm the guy that wants to cut it up with my plasma cutter. I would send it back to savage but really dont want to mess with it. They might fix it or might not.. Its not worth any more of my time. 9 months is enough and its time to move on to a GOOD barrel. I have a Brux on my 6mmBR and it shoots one hole, I have a Bartlien on my 260 Rem and it shoots one hole, I even have a shilen on my 308 and it shoots one hole. Plus they are easier to clean..

Now, should I order a Brux (which is the best barrel I have ever used) or a Krieger ( I have never owned)?

livnpaintball
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
and as far as the loading goes I've used Lapua and PPU brass, Hornady 285, Sierra 250-300, Berger 300, and Lapua 300 bullets. +.015 in, just touching, and .030, .045, .060 off the lands. Powder is Retumbo, RX25, us869, 8700. primers are CCI large mag and GM215.. and I used redding, forster, and rcbs dies...

I've developed loads in the my other guns without issues. Until this one. As soon as the barrel starts to heat up it turns into a shotgun. One shot is ok, if you have to follow up its not going to be where you want it. And as far as I'm concerned if you cant push out 5 shoots where you want it then the barrel or gun is junk...... But that's my opinion.

darkker
08-03-2012, 05:20 PM
You aren't the person I was referencing, but perhaps you share the same problem.
1) those loads you say worked in "Other guns". Fine and dandy, THIS one is not THEM.
2) what are your specific loads? Listing some powders, and some bullets, and some dies isn't specific enough to help. Did you ever attempt to re-work your loads in THIS rifle, see if it is just off a node?
3) ALL barrels open up when they get warm, this one MAY be doing it more so than others.
4) Is the barrel properly free floated?
5) At what distance are you testing? Very long match type bullets GENERALLY don't group well up close.

You are obviously fed-up with your current situation, so your question from post #11;
"should I order a Brux (which is the best barrel I have ever used) or a Krieger ( I have never owned)? "

You SHOULD do what you think will make you the happiest. You already answered that question in your quotations.
Given my personal experiences, I wouldn't chose either of those brands. I'm sure they both make fine products, but I stick with what has worked for me.

rjtfroggy
08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I have no interest in this barrel because I have no need for nor do I want a 338 lapua but rather than cut it up why not offer it up in the classifieds or right here in your post.I am sure someone will snap it up real quick.

thomae
08-03-2012, 05:37 PM
+1: Do with it as you wish since it is yours, but you can recoup at least some of your investment if you become a paid member of this forum and sell it in the classifieds.

livnpaintball
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
The cow pattie has a new Krieger barrel now, now I have to start over with the load development.

Darkker, to answer your 1st question almost all the loads I put in it were of my own and not someone else's like you think. Why do you dislike Brux and Krieger barrels? JC.

When does the RX33 come out?