PDA

View Full Version : Simmons White tail Scope

Pages : 1 [2]

fgw_in_fla
08-24-2012, 06:09 AM
I had a Crossfire that had incredible glass. Crystal clear.... kinda like looking thru your front window on a sunny day. Unfortunatly,it didn't hold POA / POI.

It drove me crazy for about 2 weeks when it was on my 30.06. Long story shortened, Vortex swapped it out for a nice Viper which, I'm happy to say, has better glass than the Crossfire. AND, it survived my '06.

Anyway, I had one Simmons scope that I liked & it sucked, too. It was an AETEC whatchamacallt. Real nice glass. Broken reticle in 1 week.

I think I'll go with what I know. Too many valuable lessons learned from cheap scopes. After shooting $500 worth of ammo to learn the scope is bad is too costly.

Later y'all -
Frank in Fla ( practice prep for the hurricane)

ArmchairElite
08-24-2012, 06:51 AM
LOL! I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to Chinese glass as "incredible" before. I wish that was how they looked to me. I could be the Shallow Hal of scope users. In any case I wouldn't expect anything that cheap to stand up to harsh conditions. Your Viper is a quality scope and should have a nice long life. I sent that Crossfire back to Vortex and put it towards a Viper PST that was very well made. I really like Vortex as a company and I wish they had better glass. After I got one of the least expensive scopes IOR Valdada makes (fixed 16X) it really highlighted the difference between Vortex Glass and IOR glass for me. I hope I wont be needing a variable power for a few years because I just can't afford this glass in a scope with all the bells and whistles.

LabRat2k3
08-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I have used Simmons scopes before that were okay, at least better than open sights for my poor eyes. I would put them at the top of the bottom for scopes. I just can't afford to spend money on cheap scopes anymore, hoping to find a "good deal". By the time you spend your time, money, and ammo fighting with them you could have just bought a good mid-level scope and be out shooting instead of changing your scope, again.

devildogandboy
08-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Frank, since a few people have mentioned the Redfields i will chime in also. i have 3 of the Revolutions and really like them, good glass and functionality for the money. i don't think you can go wrong with one for an inexpensive scope.
you might check out their newest model, the Revenge, it ranges for you and seems quite simple to use. they even have it in a 6x18x44 for varmint hunting. i'm thinking about one of these for myself, just to try it out. it has 2 different reticles, the 4plex or the "accu-ranger". check out the link!
http://www.redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

jimbo88mm
08-26-2012, 01:55 AM
I've had my 6.5-20 wtc for several years. It currently sits on my AR but I've had on everything from a 243 bolt to a 10/22. Mine also says Philippines on it.

For those that have experience with it, any idea on how much internal adjustment these have? The furthest Ive taken mine out is 300 yards but that's going to get pushed out to 500 in the near future.

Bowers
08-13-2013, 10:49 PM
kinda late to post this. i have had my Simmons WTC for a year now. its held zero fine. the longest i have shot is 400ish yards. the scope does its job great. I just dnt the 100 yard mark is set on the 11x power "i think" its colored red, also when you change the power your POI changes. i read to write down where it hits when doing that. It worked great at low light when deer hunting also.

n4ue
08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi Frank. I have a couple of Vipers and luv 'em. Bought a NEW Nikon Monarch and sent it back the next day. Toy 'like' like the new Weaver Kaspa. (Should have been called the "Casper".....)
Here's another one to look at:
Redfield Revenge. Around $270. Made in the Philippines. I know have over 30 scopes, I'll stick with the Milletts, the RR and Vipers in this market segment!
About the same time, I bought a Weaver Kaspa. Absolute junk. Typical China made $150 scope. Actually it's more like a $50 scope with a $100 'value adder' due to Weaver's name. They should be ashamed......

ron

keeki
08-15-2013, 07:38 PM
If you've ever liked through a konuspro m-30 you would say it had great glass

keeki
08-15-2013, 07:40 PM
And its made in china. And as far as the WTC goes, its clearer than any of my crossfires and I've never had a problem with them

n4ue
08-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Long post, sorry...........

I have several Konus scopes and like them enough, that they are attached to some accurate varmint rifles. I DO NOT have a 'problem' with Chinese scopes. I have a lot. I DO have a problem with the lower end models. Let's face it. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is made to a price point. I keep hoping to find that $1000 scope for $100, but it ain't gonna happen......You do (pretty much) get what you pay for.

I brought a bunch of my 'spare' scopes to the range at work one day. I keep the price of the different models unknown to some of my co-workers and a couple are experienced hunters, but most are not scope enthusiasts.
One such exercise, showed a brand new Nikon Monarch (4-16X42mm) to be 'ranked' inferior to a $70 Center Point. That Nikon went back the NEXT day for a refund. There was nothing radically 'wrong' with the Nikon, but for $450+, I expected it to knock my socks off. It didn't and (like the Kaspa), felt cheap. I've had bad luck with Barska, NcStar, FM, TacVector, etc. I really didn't expect much and was not terribly disappointed. It's just 'play' money.....and I enjoy the challenge.
I've had excellent luck with all my Milletts (3 LRS-1s and 2 TRS-1s)... Not only have I never had a problem with any of my Milletts, I called the factory one day, to inquire about purchasing different height 35mm rings.
I did not like the high rings and they were nice enough to send me the height I wanted, (several sets) FOR FREE! How could you beat that?

Yes, these Chinese scopes cost just less than $500, but the quality is excellent.
Last time I was at the LGS, the owner asked me if I wanted to look through the $1500 Zeiss scope I was eyeballing.
I had to reply, "Heck, NO!". My savings account would have suffered.

I have mentioned this before..... Back in the mid-70s, I bought a new Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243. Having a young family, my first house, etc, all I could afford was a Japanese Tasco 20X40mm. All my buddies made fun of it. Through the years it was removed and replaced with 'better' glass.
It wasn't until last year, when I took it out and put it into an optical jig I made, that I realized just how nice that old glass is, compared to the 'new stuff'.

I put together rifles for my buddy/boss. I bought him a Fujinon 3.5-10X50mm scope from the Sportsman's Guide. It absolutely is one of the nicest non-parallex adjustables, I have ever looked through.
Since Fuji (Japan) makes some great camera lenses, I should have known. When I tried to buy more, they were gone forever. Evidently, Fuji didn't stay in the scope business. Too bad, this was an excellent example. Warranty? He has a LOT of $ and will just buy new. He couldn't care less if I get a NF or Tasco. He's not a 'shooter' and his guns are just things for me and his traveling buddies to play with, on his private range. The rifle just sits in the safe until I shoot it. Ah, perfect job... ha ha

FWIW....

ron

efm77
08-15-2013, 10:18 PM
As others have said the Redfield is good as are the Vortex Vipers, and the Nikons. I'll also throw Swift in there too. So often they get overlooked by many, I guess because they don't do a lot of advertising like a lot of the other brand names. But they are good scope nonetheless. At least in my experience. Very decent quality for the price and they are made in S. Korea, not red communist China.

jordan
09-08-2013, 10:10 PM
I have one on my 300 win mag and its doing just fine...

Wyomingwindage
09-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I have 2 WTH, they both are ok. Have shot 200y, up to 400y, then down to 100y in club shoot several times with my 7-08. Track ok. Pretty good glass, cross hair a little heavy for me. Scope is fairly heavy and large bell. Only used 20x. The turrets are the biggest problem for me, I have trouble remembering, setting the come-ups-downs. Worth the price. Not sure about the warranty, I talked to Bushnell and they seemed to be willing to work on them if they had a problem. Ron.