PDA

View Full Version : After fire forming and neck sizing?

acemisser
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
How many times can you load without have to resize full length
again..I have a few that chamber a little stiff,but not bad..Is this
ok to shoot or should I Full lenght size again...Is there a chance
of the case getting syuck in the chamber?...Thanks John

DanSavage
07-30-2012, 09:20 PM
It probably varies from cartridge to cartridge, but with .308 using a mild load I've shot a batch 5 times before FL sizing just enough for the case to chamber good again. When the cases were at 4 -5 firings the bolt was closing pretty darn snug but not enough were it felt like I was actually crushing the case in the chamber. You will be OK to fire a little stiff chambering shell, but for best accuracy you'll want them to be all uniform. Sometimes you get cases that get ahead of the rest because of load development (some cases had more powder = more pressure).

I have another .308 that only goes about 3 neck sizing's then I have to bump the shoulder back about .0015
with the FL die.

But again if your running a load at high pressure's you may not get as many neck sizes in a row. An brands of brass will come into play as well.

I would not recommend this at all but last month at a match I saw a guy with a custom bolt knob that was a little longer than usual and he was literally sizing the case to the chamber. I think the danger would be the angle of of the shoulder could force a tight grip on the bullet, spiking pressure. I said something later and he said aw naw my bullet is seated way out in the neck.

big honkin jeep
07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
The tight chambering may be a case length issue. I have some Winchester 30-06 cases that started as factory ammo with 6-8 firings that have never touched a full length die.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-30-2012, 11:40 PM
All my stuff is loaded to "mid range". I don't shoot hot loads. I get 20+ reloads out of my brass. (22 BR, 6 BR, 6.8 SPC, 6.8 BR and 6.8 BR) I neck size and shoulder bump with Forster Bushing Bump Dies. Maybe body size after 5 or 6 reloads or as the case starts getting snug on closing the bolt. Lots of guys full length resize every time but to me, that's working the brass more than needed. YMMV, Mike.

acemisser
07-31-2012, 07:19 AM
thanks for the replies.Should have mentioned it is a
22-250,and I try to stay away from anything to hot.
I seat all bullets accordig to the specs. in the manual.

big honkin jeep
07-31-2012, 03:48 PM
I wasn't referring to overall length after a bullet was seated but the length of the brass itself. The neck may have stretched some especially with an overbore cartridge.
Have you trimmed the brass or checked to make sure the brass is not too long? This will definitely cause them to chamber with difficulty and can lead to high pressure.

acemisser
07-31-2012, 05:11 PM
all brass trimmed to manual specs...I use the Lee trimmer tool...Works good for me and
all cases are darn close to the same measurement...john

hafejd30
08-02-2012, 03:21 PM
In my 308 I had some casings that had over 20+ firings on them just neck sizing

acemisser
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
WOW