PDA

View Full Version : PT&G Action pillars

Leonardo63
07-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm ready to install pillars in my Boyds thumbhole. I knocked out that plastic bushing for the forward screw, it was set too deep in the first place, had screw going into the bolt lug and not even close to tight. So, got to looking at pillars and I like the idea of the threaded aluminum part that screws in and out.
So what I'm thinking is, take some measurments and I should be able to set it up so that my screws will work without having to shorten them.
Wondering if any of you have used these pillars and how you liked working with them?
Thanks~! Len

Also, I was thinking of installing the rear pillar and after setting up it looks like there plenty of room to get in there to cut it out for the trigger sear with a dremel cutoff wheel on a 90deg drive. Sound about right?

CharlieNC
07-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I would go ahead and bed the Boyds too, especially to insure the recoil lug and other key points are well fitted. Pillars may help, but the bedding will be the iceing on the cake.

Leonardo63
07-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the reply Charlie- I plan on bedding the action for sure just wanted to get pillars in first. I ordered those adjustable pillars today so I'll see how it goes.

drybean
07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
all i use is lamp rod,cheap at any hardware store
cut to leneth.go to go

Leonardo63
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Thought I'd post a follow up on these pillars. I've done all the measuring and calculating heights and these aren't going to work for me in my situation. I could make them work, but I'm going to go with lamp rod. The sizes and tolerances on these things aren't what I'm looking for. ID of the pillars in about .3", little big are't they?
I need a benchtop lathe is what I need to make an escutcheon to fit the hole in this Boyds stock after I took that plastic plug out. It is large and deep and never would come close to tightening up and that plastic would just squish out anyway.
Live and Learn! thnx!