PDA

View Full Version : 110L Safety clip?

kmonares
07-28-2012, 09:54 PM
im looking for the small sheet metal clip that slides over a portion of the action in the safety selector slot.
sorta like a sheet metal spacer that keeps the safety from vertical movement. its a 110L in 270 made in the 70's

sharpshooter
07-28-2012, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. That little clip is only a dust cover, and it will work fine without it. Most of the time I pitch them once they're apart, they're more of a PITA than anything.

kmonares
07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
without it i couldnt get my safety to work correctly. i shoot silhouettes so the safety must work perfecty for the hunter class. when the guy would check weights trigger pull weight and making sure the safety would work he would put the safety on squeeze the trigger and when he would click my safety off the sear would disengage. when he squeezed the trigger the safety (bar?) would move slightly upward. i tried adjusting the set screw in the safety to take up the play and all that did was make it impossible to slide the safety back with your thumb. i scavanged one of those dust covers from another rifle i got, installed it and now everything works perfectly.

stangfish
07-29-2012, 11:26 PM
kmonares, Listen up. Now this is just me but when someone with the title of "SUPER MODERATOR" gives you a tip, listen closely, very closely. The man says he pitches em! Capeche! :attention:

sharpshooter
07-29-2012, 11:51 PM
There is a a small amount of clearance needed for the safety to slide freely. You must have adjusted the screw a little too tight.
Those little clips have caused more problems when they wear than what they were intended to do. Savage dropped them all together in the early '90's.

kmonares
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
well i just spent the last hour adjusting that screw in and out to no avail, even tried filing the top of the set screw flatter so it slides easier but without the clip i still cannot get the safety on my other rifle to work correctly either, i should mention that both my rifles have canjar triggers installed befor i purchased them. i dont know if the canjar came with a new safety bar or not. without the clip i screw in the set screw and i cannot get the safety to move without using a tool to push it over but the sear does not disengauge when the safety is switched off. i screw the set screw out just enough so i can move the safety by hand and when i switch the safety off the sear disengauges.

Stangfish: you listen up. you and other posters like yourself are the reason i quit this forum years ago. dont tell me what i got and dont got. i dont care if he was the president of the united states. that doesnt make my safety work correctly. i took his advice and moved the screw in and out. Before he recomended it and after. and both times it failed. which leads me to believe i got other problems.
Capeche?

so back on topic, Sharpshooter: is there anything else you can think of that would make my safety work incorrectly without the dust cover?

sharpshooter
07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
You have me confused about the sear disengaging.....the safety doesn't touch the sear.
Start from scratch. The first thing to adjust is the set screw in the safety bar itself. The adjustment will be the same with or without a dust cover. You may notice some machine marks on the bottom of the receiver where the set screw slides back and forth that make the travel slightly rough. I usually file the contact area to remove the turn marks. If you have the set screw adjusted properly, the safety should move back and forth with no vertical travel.
Now re-install the trigger and then adjust the safety engagement screw in the trigger to contact the safety bar, just enough to block it, but not enough to bind it up.

Willoughby
07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Im pretty sure mine works as a detent for the 3 positions-
after dissasembling to clean & inspect -I couldnt get my saftey to work well w-out it also -until I saw it laying there
after reassembling correctly everything works smooth as glass
mine is in 308 & has a 4 screw trigger - dont know if that makes a difference ?
I dont know for sure but maybe Numrich 0r Jack First might have one