PDA

View Full Version : Good day with my Edge...

fgw_in_fla
07-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Here's my 25.06 Edge. I believe I've introduced y'all to my Edge a time or two...
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07605.jpg

Here's how it was shooting today at the range. This was with 100gr Nosler's and IMR 4350...(100yds)
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/2506with100grNBT001.jpg

That was 3 rounds. After the second shot, I thought I might have missed the target completely except I noticed the hole just a wee bit bigger. By the third round I was astonished. The fat barrel I just put on last week is incredible. Even with the 12x Nikon & my eyesight.
There was a young fella 2 stations away from me with a .270 Edge. He seemed a little frustrated with the lack of accuracy with his new rifle. When I looked at it, the stock was touching the barrel for the entire length.... Both sides!. I gave him the web address to Savage Shooters & OCD Central. I'm thinking he'll come by.

Well, now for the part I hate..... Barrel cleaning & brass sorting.

Frank in Fla

drybean
07-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Frank thats outstanding

drybean

RatMag
07-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Very impressive to say the least!!

DK

fgw_in_fla
07-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Tell y'all what..... Surprised the bejinkies outta me. My eyes were bothering me big time today. Vision was cloudy & blurred to where I had to keep blinking to keep them wet.
Funny how that works.... When you're feeling great do you ever shoot as well as you feel?

Thanks for the words gents. That cheap lil' 'ol pawn shop rifle has been the most accurate I own.... so far.

Most impressive since I put on the Savage Tactical fat barrel I got from another member.

Frank in Fla

bobfortier
07-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Wow !

I did something similar with my Axis 223 with a 12VLP barrel on it.

fgw_in_fla
07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Is that the same bobfortier that won't make me a new stock for my Edge and then has to torment me with pictures of the stock he made for himself? The same bobfortier?....

How ya been Bob? Any new creations to show off yet?

Frank in Fla

Kaianuanu
07-30-2012, 02:44 PM
TELL ME RIGHT NOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT MAGAZINE!!! I NEED one for my 270 axis. Great groups BTW!

Willoughby
07-30-2012, 04:35 PM
TELL ME RIGHT NOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT MAGAZINE!!! I NEED one for my 270 axis. Great groups BTW!
and please include info with pics on how to mod it to an axis stock

fgw_in_fla
07-31-2012, 12:07 AM
You guys want I should put together a step by step "How I Did It" with a few pics?....

I can certainly try. I have a few pics already. I'll have to wing it on the rest but the bottom line is, about a half dozen or so minor tid bits & it's good & stable & out shoots all my other rifles.

And it's the rifle I paid the least amout of money for. Go figure.

Let me see what I can do. Worse case scenario, I'll PM / email to y'all the odds & ends I revamped. This way we don't clutter up the board.(?)

By the way Kaianuanu ----- PM coming your way.....

Frank in Fla

Kaianuanu
07-31-2012, 01:04 PM
You guys want I should put together a step by step "How I Did It" with a few pics?....

I can certainly try. I have a few pics already. I'll have to wing it on the rest but the bottom line is, about a half dozen or so minor tid bits & it's good & stable & out shoots all my other rifles.

And it's the rifle I paid the least amout of money for. Go figure.

Let me see what I can do. Worse case scenario, I'll PM / email to y'all the odds & ends I revamped. This way we don't clutter up the board.(?)

By the way Kaianuanu ----- PM coming your way.....

Frank in Fla

Yeah, most of us on here, especially me, are hardcore tinkerers and DIY-ers, so I'd really appreciate a how to thread.

PS: Is that a Varmint Barrel on that? If so, How did you get the finish to match the factory finish so well?

fgw_in_fla
07-31-2012, 05:33 PM
How do I get the finish on the barrel to match the action finish?

It was real easy.

Luck.

Actually, it's a Savage Edge long action in that matte black finish (I think) and the barrel is a Savage Tactical 24" 25.06 cal. in matte black.
So. I guess luck did play a part in finding the right finish barrel for my Edge.

As far as a how to make a piece of ...... stock & rifle into a really cool inexpensive, high accuracy shooter? I've been giving serious thought to posting some of my "How I did It" pics & info for others to use. I think some of the other guys are working on similar tech stuff to be put up in a specific area for all to use. All I need is a little extra time, like maybe an extra 3 to 4 hours in a day. I'll see what I can do. I would really like to see anybody & eveybody be able to have / make a decent rifle for minimum bucks & not spending a fortune in aftermarket parts.
I have nothing against capitalism. I am a business owner, myself. But not everyone has a few hundred bucks to throw down on the barrel head to upgrade & modify their rifle so..... Why not D.I.Y?

Gotta finish some contracts..... We'll talk later.
Frank in Fla