PDA

View Full Version : Why am I buying 6X24 scopes now a days.

HRstretch
12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I know I can not see as well as I use too, I'm 48. I started out hunting (years ago) with a 4X weaver and thought I could see for miles. Then moved to 3X9's and thought, what else would you want. Now it seems I have a leaning to the 6x 24/25 scopes. In fairness to the discussion, I am shooting at longer distances and its nice to zoom into the 200 and 300 targets and good to see clearer at the 600 plus targets.

Hunting in South Texas I can really zoom in and pick my spots at 300 and 400 yards at the 24/25 power. Most of the guns with the higher powered scopes are on guns you wouldn't want to carry all day. My pack arounds' still sport 3X9 or 4X12/16 scopes. Do I really need the 6X24/25 scopes for long distance, I guess I have thought I needed them since I bought them, but what have I gained? What have I lost?

Am I just bored?

Nor Cal Mikie
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
A Guy's got to have toys! ;D Been using 6x24 and 8x32 for 100 yard + bench rest shooting and never cranked them down to a lower power. Thinking of going to a fixed power at 36. At 36 I can see the bullet holes so I might just as well go full power and stay there. And besides, it's only $$ and you can't take it with you unless you can change it into Travelers Checks. ;D

lwink
12-14-2009, 08:07 PM
And besides, it's only $$ and you can't take it with you unless you can change it into Travelers Checks. ;D

Amen to that! For some reason most of the women in my life don't see it that way though?

Blue Avenger
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
A Guy's got to have toys! ;D Been using 6x24 and 8x32 for 100 yard + bench rest shooting and never cranked them down to a lower power. Thinking of going to a fixed power at 36. At 36 I can see the bullet holes so I might just as well go full power and stay there. And besides, it's only $$ and you can't take it with you unless you can change it into Travelers Checks. ;D

you sound like me. i could use 32 and 36 very easy now. only turn down on high mirage days.

bythebook
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM

you sound like me. i could use 32 and 36 very easy now. only turn down on high mirage days.

I am glad somebody put this down in writing as I have been thinking this for about year now!

HRstretch
12-14-2009, 11:50 PM
So the real answer is because I can.

I think I have shot more at the 24/25 power the last year than anything else. Besides I like being able to see the holes even at 400 yards.

Danley
12-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Been using 6x24 and 8x32 for 100 yard + bench rest shooting and never cranked them down to a lower power.

Same here ... the first thing i seem to do now is crank it up to full power ;D

rjtfroggy
12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
As I got older I realized I could no longer pick out the holes at 100-200 yards, so I did the logical thing , I switched my bench guns to 20x. Now I can see the holes out at 200 with the 223 with no problem.
My hunting rifles however carry scopes that are useful for the situation ie; shot gum/ml 1-5, deer rifles 3-9 or 4-12, varmit 4-16 or 4-24,hand gun uses a red dot, using this philosophy has allowed me to buy more rifles and convince the wife of their need.

efm77
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Heck I use 6-24's and 6-18's on some of my hunting rifles as well. It does make it heavier and bulky to carry around but I still like the benefit of being able to really zoom in on something. For most of my hunting I keep them set at 6x and that seems to be low enough to handle the close shots and most others as well. But if time permits me to zoom in, it really is a nice benefit to have with you.

bluealtered
12-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Since being older is part of the question, i learned last week that part of my problem with needing more powerfull scopes is very simple, i have cataracts in both eyes. What i took as getting older, (well i guss it is) was the fact that the cataracts have slowly been getting worse and i didn't know it just because it was a daily thing and not all at once.

My worse eye is my shooting eye, (of course) it gets done thursday, the other on the 24th. Who knows maybe it will be 3x9's after that. You might check with an ophthalmologist and see what he has to say. Of course thats still no reason to stop buyiing scopes. blue

EFBell
12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Key words? Getting Older. Eyes arent what they used to be here either. I remember when 12X seemed like the hubble for me.

bluealtered
12-16-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm ok with getting older and the problems that come with it, sure beats the other choice. The only problem i see is that my 6.8spc upper finally showed, and between -o weather and this up coming eye work, i haven't been able to give it a good work out yet. I guess the up side is that i may not need a 20x60 spotting scope to see the holes at 100-200yds, i guess time will tell. blue

Nor Cal Mikie
12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I'am working on a 6.8 SPC on a Savage platform and it'll have a fixed 32 or 36 power scope. I figure if I'am going to play, I might just as well have fun doing it. And if it's not fun, it must be work.

BobT
12-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I can still see my bullet holes at 200 yrds. with a 20X but now I'm having trouble seeing the 1/8 min. dot!

I guess it's time for a reticle change!

efm77
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
To me that's the beauty of a 6-18, 6.5-20, 6-24 etc. I can really zoom in for target work and then leave it on 6x when hunting and not feel overscoped. 6x is still low enough for up close shots and you have plenty of FOV.

Don - LongRangeSupply
12-18-2009, 11:00 PM
I am a few levels above you either in poor eyesight or the desire for more clarity in reticle to target alignment at longer distances...22x used to seem like plenty a few years ago, then I moved to 32x and now I want 42x or MORE.

Pete K.
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I came upon this a few months ago and am still considering buying one for the reasons mentioned in the replies above. If you have used one of these products please give us your feelings and results. Tell us which one you purchased, what magnification and what you think about the improvement it made for seeing a better sight picture whether target of game. How much more increase in magnification does it actually provide?

http://www.bulzeyepro.com/optical-boosters.php

Pete K.