PDA

View Full Version : HS Precision stock contacting tang

Jackpine
07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
I recently tore down my rifle and noticed that the rear of the tang is contacting the stock. It is the HS Precision M24 style stock.

I understand it is best to have the tang free floated. I guess my two options are to remove some material or bed it. I'm not sure that I want to tackle bedding right now. If I remove some material will I end up with a mess? I'm not familiar with the materials that go into this stock. It isn't fiberglass cloth or anything like that is it?

SHL540KB308
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
You can remove material from this area, give it a thin coat of epoxy on your finger (dab on) when finished.
You can remove material from the action itself, bottom side of tang, with a file. When I rework an action I usually do this in a lathe, but can be done by hand.

Later, Brad

tinkerer
08-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Wrap some sandpaper around a 1.25" wood dowel and sand the area lightly. When you can slip a dolar bill under when bolted up, your done.

Larry
Tinkerer

Jackpine
08-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I finally got back to this project. Thanks for the feedback guys. I used the dowel method and it worked great.

savage 10 5r
09-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I had this same problem. I sanded down material until I saw red color coming through so I had to stop. I had to bed the stock and put quite of bit of epoxy in the rear of the stock to get the rear tang to free float. But by doing so I was able to take an MOA off of my groups. The rear tang riding really messed up the accuracy of my rifle.