PDA

View Full Version : New bolt stop/release

Smokepole
12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
On the actions w the release on the trigger guard, is the bolt stop still an additional function of the sear? Or is there a new, separate stop arrangement? If it is still a function of the sear, how is the linkage from the release to the stop/sear accomplished?

LG
12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Smokepole,

Yes the bolt stop still is an additional function of the sear. The new style sear is basically the same as the old one as far as trigger/sear engagement and bolt stop functions go. It just doesn't have that exposed tab on the right side of the receiver anymore. In the new design the bolt release button (in front of the trigger guard), when depressed, contacts the sear and pushes it back, lowering the bolt stop.

Smokepole
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
10-4. I didn't figure there were drastic changes. I've wondered what it would take to rid the Savage of the bolt stop/sear combo. Keep the sear of course, but cut the ear off. I haven't tried, but I would think you could grind an angle into the 'stop' side of the sear similar to what's on the 'sear' side of the sear. That would allow the bolt to come out as long as the trigger was depressed. Then you could mill a slot and add on a bolt stop like a Mauser. Just fancying it up I guess.