PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: boyds tacticool install issue

CampMan08
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
First time I've tried to replace a stock and need help.* Just bought a savage mkII FV-SR and wanted to replace the stock with a Boyds tacticool and ran into some problems.* First off, I bought the the trigger guard and bottom plate from Boyds as well and it came with one screw.* I bought replacement screws from Midway that were supposed to be for the "laminate" stock which I read somewhere that those were the ones to use with the tacticool.* So, everything fit fine and the original action screws fit fine (the replacements were the same size) but I wasn't sure how tight to tighten them - i stopped when I heard cracking noises.* It wasn't even that tight, I'm assuming that it may have been the bottom plate settling in or something but I don't know.* Lastly, the single screw that came with the trigger guard/bottom plate I assumed (maybe stupid of me) that it fit in the screw hole behind the trigger guard.* It didn't go in all the way and seems to be stripped.* The bottom plate little screw didn't go anywhere and the replacement screw that was longer also didn't do much and seems stripped.

So, did I just ruin things or has this happened to somebody else?* Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
-Alex

Admin
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Doubt you ruined anything, but you don't want really torque down on laminate stocks. 30-35 inch-pounds is plenty.

In regards to the rear trigger guard screw, if it seems stripped just stick a toothpick into the hole and break it off flush with the stock surface, put in a dab of Elmers Wood Glue and reinstall the screw. You should find that it will now tighten up adequately. The only other option would be to go to a larger diameter screw, but this screw doesn't do anything critical so it doesn't have to be super tight or uber strong.

CampMan08
07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks ! I'll definitely try the toothpick. Yeah, I could never find a number to tork down with (in inch pounds). Doubt it's that torqued but I'll dbl check that I didn't go crazy.
thanks again. Can't wait to go to the range !
-A