PDA

View Full Version : any good source for aftermarket striker stocks?

revolverfan2
12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
like title states, savage striker 516 in 308 tapered
want something to add some weight other then lead

lwink
12-13-2009, 11:33 PM
ask 358Hammer on here if you find him, he's got a good collection I believe. I'm sure many others know too.

pdog06
12-18-2009, 08:04 PM
ask 358Hammer on here if you find him, he's got a good collection I believe. I'm sure many others know too.

Yep. He has some very nice stocks. Matter of fact I am ordering one myself, as soon as I decide on one of the colors.

durango
12-19-2009, 02:09 PM
A very timely question--I, too, am interested in aftermarket stocks for the striker. Most of the stocks I've seen, have been, by neccessity, built for the rear trigger conversions. I prefer the mid grip and ended up building a walnut/maple laminate for mine. A recent query to one of this sites advertising members indicated that they used to have an offering in a thumbhole, but the demand didn't justify keeping it in the line and the whereabouts of the master was unknown.

Futher discussion revealed that they would do a custom run for 16 units--IF we find a master. Sixteen units doesn't seem like an awful lot to me--I'm thinking between this site and specialtypistols, we could come up with an order. My personal tastse would be basically like the savage, less the forearm finger grooves, add finger grooves on the grip, with the barrel channel cut for factory taper. If wood is left on it can be customized to suit. I'm in the process of inleting two of their stocks and have found the laminate to be easy to machine--belt sander, drill press, etc. Cost wasn't discussed--??

SO-Here's an option for all you striker fans--How many would be willing to get something going? Answer me here or PM me. I have unlimited long distance and I really enjoy using the phone company's money, so I would call you, if you like.
Thanks, Steve

Blue Avenger
12-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Here are some option's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/100_0285.jpg
John E. Stiefel
862 South Spring Street
Bucyrus, OH 44820
(419) 562-3039
Best time to call is early afternoons, Tues through Thurs. Friday through Monday they're usually on the road setting up at a gunshow.

forget who made the next ones
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/xp1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/svsdpp3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/jorvin.jpg
this one is Jorvin's

tinkerer
12-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Any idea of the projected costs?

If you're going to get a master made, use the Super Striker thumbhole model. I'm sure one of the guys over a SP will volunteer his wood as a master, for a consideration.

Waiting to hear anticipated dollars?

BTW, most of those metal stocks on the bottom are for target actions. Different bolt spacing, no left bolt.

Larry
Tinkerer

durango
12-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Larry,
I thought that I had sent this answer earlier, but I must have hit the wrong button. No prices or costs were discussed, but they do have unfinished rifle stocks for under $100. As far as the Super Savage is concerned, that's the style that didn't sell before. I'm thinking more along the lines of the ones in the photos that Blue Avenger posted, only in laminate and without the finger grooves on the fore end--if you cut those in, you don't have much wood left to cut a channel for a heavy barrel. Steve

sterman
05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I have to agree with the style shown in the photos. I prefer the mid grip. Would love to see these come to reality.

Tony Gettel
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r352/tonygettel/IMG_2076.jpg
I don't know if this is the type of stock you are thinking of, but I just finished 4. Some of you may know that Neal asked if I would take over his center core savage stocks while he is working on a new project. The other pictures can be seen in the savage stock section on my web site. The cost is the same as Neal had-325$

Tony
www.Tonysforendsandgrips.net

WM5L
10-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Is this group buy thing dead? I might be in one one.

durango
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm guessing the group buy is dead, however I'm still thinking about getting a duplicator and carving a few. I offered earlier to discuss this with interested parties, but got no takers so I haven't pushed it. I know that price is the big question to most people and I don't have an answer for that except that it won't be $300. for an unfinished stock nor will it be under $100. I figure my start up costs will be around $2000.00 plus alot of time for masters, etc. The one that I built for my Striker has over 60 hours into it and it's not done yet, but I laminated the blank, too.

I'm not looking to make this a business--I'm already retired and presently work 20 hours a week and that may end tomorrow or maybe next year--who knows. I need to pay for the toys and have some fun doing it-guns and woodworking are my two main hobbies right now.

Obviously, the more interest I get, the sooner I'll persue it. Answer me here or PM me. Steve