PDA

View Full Version : Fore end on stock touching barrel on model 10 .243

jeffc2x
07-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I have a model 10 .243 standard barrel with the black stock,and accu trigger.The fore end touches the barrel on the left side about halfway up.Will this affect the accuracy?It has the rounded fore end.I thought about buying a new stock for it.Are the Boyd wood stocks a good choice?I don't want to spend a fortune on one.
Thanks Jeff

darkker
07-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I have a model 10 .243 standard barrel with the black stock,and accu trigger.The fore end touches the barrel on the left side about halfway up.Will this affect the accuracy?It has the rounded fore end.I thought about buying a new stock for it.Are the Boyd wood stocks a good choice?I don't want to spend a fortune on one.
Thanks Jeff

Accuracy: It's your gun, DOES it affect accuracy? What are your groups? Had several guns that don't care, several that do.
Stocks: Yes, very "good" stocks for the money.

jeffc2x
07-21-2012, 10:15 PM
It groups pretty good a 100 yards.Around a inch,sometimes better.Will the barrel be floated in a Boyds stock?
Thanks Jeff

jonbearman
07-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes,the boyds are relieved enough. I just bought one of the thumbholes and with shipping it came to 125.00 It is a drop in ,but should have pillars or at least bedded.

jeffc2x
07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes,the boyds are relieved enough. I just bought one of the thumbholes and with shipping it came to 125.00 It is a drop in ,but should have pillars or at least bedded.

How does your rifle shoot with it?I like the thumbholes.
Jeff

sniper15545
07-21-2012, 11:20 PM
You can open up the barrel channel on your stock.

jeffc2x
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
You can open up the barrel channel on your stock.

Just sand it a little?
Jeff

Werewolf
07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
You can use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to keep things round, and elbow grease it til it clears the high spot. Boyds stocks are good for the money, and all the factory contours I have bought them for have been floated fine. They are a good upgrade for factory plastic. i have used them plain with decent results, but like most sub $400 stocks they do benefit from bedding.

jeffc2x
07-22-2012, 10:37 AM
You can use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to keep things round, and elbow grease it til it clears the high spot. Boyds stocks are good for the money, and all the factory contours I have bought them for have been floated fine. They are a good upgrade for factory plastic. i have used them plain with decent results, but like most sub $400 stocks they do benefit from bedding.
I'll try to open it up a little.I don't want to spend a fortune on a stock and get into a lot of work.The factory stock like mine is just letting the barrel float isn't it?Bedding a stock is a whole other thing isn't it?
Thanks Jeff

Werewolf
07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Having the barrel free floated means it is not touching the stock anywhere. That is what you need to shoot for right now. If your accuracy is not to your liking you can try bedding your rifle. Bedding is using epoxy and sometimes pillars to provide a solid stable foundation for your action which helps improve repeatability (=accuracy). You can use the search function here or google stress free pillar bedding.

jeffc2x
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Ok,thanks.
Jeff

stangfish
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Good advice here Jeff.

243LPR
07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Also check if tang is floated.

devildogandboy
07-22-2012, 02:41 PM
i found out that on a lot of the synthetic stocks the recoil lug is touching the ribbing in the bottom of the stock not allowing the action to fully seat on the pillar. i ground this area out to make plenty of room for the recoil lug and when the actions is torqued to 35lbs on the front action screw and 25lbs on the rear actiion screw the barrel will sit in the channel without touching either side of the stock.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/BOYDSSTOCKS010.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/BOYDSSTOCKS012.jpg

jeffc2x
07-22-2012, 03:28 PM
i found out that on a lot of the synthetic stocks the recoil lug is touching the ribbing in the bottom of the stock not allowing the action to fully seat on the pillar. i ground this area out to make plenty of room for the recoil lug and when the actions is torqued to 35lbs on the front action screw and 25lbs on the rear actiion screw the barrel will sit in the channel without touching either side of the stock.
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/BOYDSSTOCKS010.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb379/devildogandboy/BOYDSSTOCKS012.jpg
So that what they are suppose to be torqued to?
Jeff

stangfish
07-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I think I would bed the lug at this point seeing how rough the recoil lug seat is.

devildogandboy
07-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I think I would bed the lug at this point seeing how rough the recoil lug seat is.

it's a work in the process at this point, still needs to be roughed up for adhesion around the lug and action areas. i do intend to bed it!

ellobo
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Devildog pointed out a common problem not many are aware of. Clearing out that piece, put the action back in the stock, bump the butt on the floor to make sure the recoil lug is sitting on the stock and torque the screws and check to see if your barrel is free floated as well as the tang. If not, sand out the barrel channel and the tang area until the barrel and tang are free. And yes, Boyds are great stocks for little money.

El Lobo