PDA

View Full Version : Custom neck honing

Luckus
07-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Forster will custom hone the necks of their sizing dies to eliminate the need for expander balls. They will not do it for other makes of dies. Does anyone provide this service? Thanks, Luckus

BobT
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Luckus,
Any machine shop with a Sunnen hone should be able to do it for you, it probably won't be cheap though. I run a hone at work and by the time everything is said and done you are looking at an hour or so of set up time plus the actual honing time. Unless you have a batch of dies the same size it would be more cost effective to buy a bushing sizer instead, they do the same thing and the bushings can be changed so you are not locked in to one size like you would be with a honed die.

Bob

Luckus
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
BobT, Thanks for the info. Luckus

Hippy
07-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Sorta what BobT mentioned. I believe they charge $10.00 BUT you have shipping and if the brass work hardes which it will you will probally need to change sizers. My $$$ would be on a Custom Die with bushings or a Redding S die

Jim

Luckus
07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
I have tried Redding S bushing dies and have had poor results, too much runout. I will live with what I have or buy a new Forster and have them hone it. Thanks, Luckus