PDA

View Full Version : chamber length -v- mag length

Willoughby
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
not sure if this is the right place to ask -but it seem to fit here better than in reloading or aftermarket barrels.......
I had a question on chamber length
I have 4 factory Savage barreled rifles
2 of the rifles a 308 & a 30 06 - I have no problem reaching the lands on with vld type bullets & still load from the factory magizine
but the other 2 both 300wm's there is a .110 diference in max mag lenght & the lands
my question is do I buy an ai mag set up - or are the aftermarket barrels -cbi- shilen -ect -short chambered ?
or can they be ordered that way ?
I prefer flush fitting factory mags -
has any one found a way to mod them to make them longer ? theres plenty of room in the receiver

nsaqam
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I've long wanted a longer mag in my WSM Savages but with the factory barrel or a generic prefit chamber you'll have to do some milling on the receiver and some welding on the mag box.

The best solution is to order a barrel blank from a good supplier such as Benchmark, Shilen, Brux, Bartlein, Pac-Nor, etc. and have it threaded and chambered by a gunsmith with the throat cut specifically for VLD's at a length which functions through your present magazine.

Opus Dei
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
I've long wanted a longer mag in my WSM Savages but with the factory barrel or a generic prefit chamber you'll have to do some milling on the receiver and some welding on the mag box.

The best solution is to order a barrel blank from a good supplier such as Benchmark, Shilen, Brux, Bartlein, Pac-Nor, etc. and have it threaded and chambered by a gunsmith with the throat cut specifically for VLD's at a length which functions through your present magazine.I am currently waiting on a custom barrel in 7 WSM; it'll be a while before Devin even gets the blank. Meanwhile, I have a couple Alpha magazines that per their website have 2.985" internal measurement, so there'll be a bit more room to work with. Do you have any thoughts on the freebore? Please ask any questions you think pertinent. Thanks in advance.

nsaqam
07-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Opus, I'd do no freebore.

Do you have any specific bullets in mind for this build?

If you do have a bullet you'll use predominantly then make sure Devin reams the chamber with no throat at all and then have him throat it specifically for that bullet loaded to the max length which will function through you magazine.