PDA

View Full Version : I love my Axis.

Mathias
07-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Just wanted to post on here that I fell back in love with my axis 223 again yesterday.

It was my first time taking it out past 100y, actually found a 300y range that isn't too far from me. I started slow, shooting clay targets at 100y, then went out to 200 to try my luck... Even with basic 55gr. PMC bronze I was breaking them one after the other so I adjusted aim toward the 12" rifle gong they have out on the 300y line, loaded 5 rounds hoping to hit with at least one... Aimed and squeezed and giggled like a little schoolgirl when the first shot sent the gong swinging, had to apologize to the others on the range, but they sympathized...

Before long I was hitting the 4" gong with every pull of the trigger, seems my rifle likes the 55gr loads over the heavier loads... that works for me though as they're cheaper and easier to find...

I also enjoyed being able to hit the targets that guys with setups that cost 5-10x more couldn't hit, and spending less per shot doing it.

I never did try shooting for groups at 300y, but knowing it'll shoot just over 1MOA is good enough for me...

mmatt
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a great day at the range! :) It's always fun when a budget firearm can do the same thing as a high cost one. ;)

fgw_in_fla
07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey Mathias - When I first got mine, I hated it. Absolutely HATED it. I kept asking myself WHY oh WHY did I buy this glorified BB gun?

Then, I mixed up a batch of Nosler 85's and was amazed at how nice it shot. Accuracy was there, less recoil than any other rifle I own (except the grandkids Marlin 22LR) and lots of fun to shoot.

Since that time, I've spent many hours tinkering with it to make a bit more range worthy. I just put a Savage Tac 24" barrel on with lots of stock modifications & reinforcement. It's rapidly becoming my favorite.... next to my .270.... and my '06...... and my other '06..... and my Glock...... and.....

Enjoy.

Frank in Fla

RSG
07-16-2012, 06:30 PM
I was going to sell mine. Then I shot it at the range to see if the scope was sighted in. Well it became mine coyote bolt gun, then a shot at range fun gun, next with a varmint barrel I hope to buy, a second prairie dog shooter.
The addiction has started.

Hi my name is RSG and I am a addict.

SFLEFTY
07-16-2012, 06:43 PM
I won't be a total addict until the LH ones show up.

Mathias
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
I haven't done anything to mine except change the scope to a budget 4-16x40, lighten the trigger and add a bipod and cheek pad... All said I have under $500 in it and it shoots better and is easier to shoot than my 308 that I have 2x that much in... Though I won't compare it to my springfield XD tactical... That's just unfair to the savage ;)

Nandy
07-24-2012, 09:04 PM
It is always a good day at the range especially when you can hit more than miss. I might be getting an Axis myself, IF I dont go with a 11 series. I have been looking for a 300 yd range myself, you dont happen to live near the carolinas, do you?

Mathias
07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Heh, sorry, I'm in Ohio.

JMG1894
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I bought an Axis combo pkg a couple weeks ago in .243. I quickly changed scope and installed a brand new Bushnell Banner 3-9x40.
After all I've been reading on these rifles with their out of box accuracy they were telling the truth!! So far i've only done the barrel break in procedure that Savage suggests and I was quite suprised with the groups at 100yds with 100 gr Rem core lokts pushed by a mild load of 35grs R22.
I almost want to pick up a few more of these rifles and .223 or 22-250 might be next!