PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 VLP DBM .223 throat length re Berger VLDs

Davy
07-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi Folks

I have recently ordered a Model 12 VLP in .223 calibre with a 1 in 7 twist barrel. Some questions arising:

1. Is the throat in this rifle type deep enough to accept Berger 80 or 90 VLDs? If not, what is the maximum bullet weight and type it is likely to be comfortable with?

2. What minimum bullet weights have worked well with this rifle and twist rate?

3. I estimate a 20 moa base should do the trick for 1000; does that sound about right?

New member here - glad to have access to Savage expertise! Rifle is for my wife for long range fun/competition shooting and myself for short range hunting of foxes.

Thanks

Davy

darkker
07-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Given my experience with Savages, they "should" be long enough. I know that Sierra's 80gr works fine. Berger reccomends your twist for the listed bullets.
For the bases: That depends upon your scope, but if you have decent adjustment on your scope, then no.
If you launch an 80gr SMK bullet @ 2550fps, zeroed @ 1K; then you only need a max of 45.6moa. For an example, my VX-II has 79-ish moa. So from center that gives me almost 40 moa up/down. On my 308, just the way it worked, I had to adjust down for a zero. So to reach 1,000 with 175SMK's I have plenty extra adjustment.

Davy
07-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks darkker! That sounds encouraging and in line with what I've managed to find out so far. I appreciate the input. Due to the limitation on the scope we will use on this rifle, I may have to stick with 20MOA which will at least get us out to 800 and maybe further without holdover. I use a little Redfield Accurange - no Schmidt and Bender but amazing value for money! If I go to a 30 MOA base, the Redfield will bottom out if I attempt to zero for ranges less than 300 (which I will need for hunting). if we upgrade the scope when and if we get the cash then 20 will be fine for all purposes. I run a 15 MOA base with the Redfield on my 308 and, depending on the loads, I have around 3-7 MOA left at 1000. It's only 9 power but if you centre the target ring in the circular reticle it can produce surprising results despite its obivious limitations. My wife will get the Redfield for the Savage 223 when my replacement scope comes in for the 308. I figure it will do the job until she gets good with the longer ranges. I will post a range report when I get the rifle and load squared away. Thanks again. This helps me order some bits and pieces with reasonable confidence.

Regards and happy shooting!

Davy