PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and suggestions

Pages : 1 [2]

hnts4fun
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
2 cents more from me. I'm brand new to Savages but I've been reading about them for years. As an AR guy with unfinished uppers and lowers you are already into the fun of modular. It gets even better with a Savage; but the very attainable goal becomes creating a wickedly accurate rifle by NOT spending $1000. Many have already shared their experiences of building rifles or changing existing rifles simply by shopping this site's classifieds section. My personal opinion is that you're on the right track with going down big honkin jeep's checklist. You can easily throw $1000 + towards this project or any other; but with your Savage you can have AR type fun while you tinker and achieve $1000 performance for much less.

Have fun and welcome aboard!

ellobo
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Crashed, I live in Nashua on the Mass. line. You are welcome to my barrel nut wrench and barrel clamp blocks and some didling around if you can make the trip. I don't plan on any more builds but if I do the wrenches are cheap enough. I do suggest an action wrench though instead of the blocks. As for a three screw, there might be someone out there that has a take off when they installed an aftermarket or contact Jim Briggs at Northlander. He advertises here so check his ad for contact info. Yes the old three screw is a good trigger when adjusted and easy to do. Jim ocassionaly has a threescrew take off available for $25-30 with instructions which are also available on this website. There is a recent article available on how to do it, with pictures for we intelectualy impaired.

El Lobo

Crashed
08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
So I've had a chance to thoroughly go over the rifle and test fire it again. After reading this forum and all of your advice I have been able to get the groups smaller, about 1.25". I'll post those pics later when I sort through the targets.

Here is what I found out
- The rear sight was shot, the more I shot the larger the groups got till I hit about 2.5". We threw a scope on the rifle and the groups tightened up.
- The tang was not free floating, I removed about 2 mil of material around that area.

I still want to do the JB weld bedding job at some point before the fall and see what that will do.

I also bought another Savage in the process with the money I did not use on this one to match my other black rifles.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/crashasaurus/2012-08-26_07-47-34_337.jpg

wbm
08-26-2012, 10:04 AM
so if you had $1k to spend what would you do

Buy a Savage Predator.

jonbearman
08-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Try cleaning the .223 barrel with montana copper killer.I will bet that it is real coppered up as the original owner probably just shot it and didnt realize he was plating the grooves and lands . Alot of used rifles may look clean,but are really fouled with copper and carbon.I know this from experience. If you choose a trigger,I like the sss trigger the best.The rifle basix is good but freds trigger is way more sensitive if you like a light trigger.Like other posters say,bed it at least.There is a tutorial on here.