PDA

View Full Version : Neck turning tools

Ksmirk
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Folks I'm thinking about turning the necks on my 308 to try and help out accuracy a bit, the neck is nothing special just SAMII min plus I'd like to make some 17 Rem brass from 204 so I would have to turn the necks to get the thickness down. My question is that while I would rather not purchase a cheapo model I would like to keep the price down in case I really don't feel like continuing with neck turning, I'd like to hear some suggestions on neck turning tools from you. I've been looking at the Sinclair tools just can't make up my mind! Later,

Kirk

groupshooter22
12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I use the K&M and like it. I think its about $100 for the kit but you get a carbide mandrel.

GaCop
12-12-2009, 06:59 AM
+1 for the K&M setup.

Bad Water Bill
12-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I have the Forster setup and am taking 223 FC cases down to 20 VT. Works good for me. I had the Forster long (read 40 years) before I found K&M.

laportecharlie
12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Like Bad Water Bill I am making 20 VT from a larger case. Taking 1-Shot's advise I bought 1000 222 Rem cases and converted them into 221 Fireball. Had to turn the necks down quite a bit. I used my many year old Forster and it worked ok but I am looking for something better. I will check out the K&M

Ksmirk
12-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys I'll have to check out the K&M turner. I know the Sinclair stuff is pretty good but I heard nothing about them here so I guess it's time to check out something else. Again thanks! Later,

Kirk

BobT
12-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Sinclair is top of the line IMHO but so is K&M ! I think the K&M is a bit cheaper than a comparable Sinclair unit. I don't turn necks much any more but when I do I use an old Wilson.

Bob

Slowpoke Slim
12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I had an old Sinclair one, their first model I believe. It was kind of a pain to setup, but it worked good. It was harder to get set to the same thickness for repeating different lots of brass. I now have one of the new Sinclair tools:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/9091/Neck-Turning-Tools

This tool is GREAT. Far better to use, set, and reset than the original. You don't need a fixture and a dial indicator to set it. The big plus for me is that it's very repeatable, as I turn necks on 3 different caliber diameters with the same tool. It's definitely not the cheapest tool, but I feel the value is there. I have no experience with the K & M tool, but if others are giving positives about it, I'm sure it will work too. Same goes with the Forester tool, no experience for me, so I can't say either way about it.

Forester
12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I have and like the Forster tool, it works well but if I was doing it again I would bite the bullet on the newest Sinclair model. 3 times the price but well worth it when, like me, you are staring at several hundred cases to turn this winter.