PDA

View Full Version : legal ?

goob
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Is it legal to build a Striker pistol from a model 110 action?

skypilot
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Ive been out of LE awhile, but at one time with BATF Form 1 and $200.00 yes with PRIOR approval.
Be sure you research this extremely well and speak with BATF before modifying so as not to run afoul of the Booze, Butts and Bang guys.

goob
07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
sounds like easyer just to buy a striker. thanks.

WuzYoungOnceToo
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
It depends. Has the action in question ever been barreled as a rifle? If so then you're out of luck as BATFE declares that building that action into a pistol constitutes conversion of a rifle to a pistol, which is a violation of federal law.

But if the action has never been barreled as a rifle then you're good to go, assuming there isn't some state/local statute to the contrary where you live.

Admin
07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
It depends. Has the action in question ever been barreled as a rifle? If so then you're out of luck as BATFE declares that building that action into a pistol constitutes conversion of a rifle to a pistol, which is a violation of federal law.

But if the action has never been barreled as a rifle then you're good to go, assuming there isn't some state/local statute to the contrary where you live.

The only Savage actions that have never been classified as a rifle from the factory are the Target Actions offered these past few years. Savage did offer barreled actions back in the early 60's, but even those came pre-classified as rifles as they had long barrels installed at the factory. If you buy a target action from a dealer/vendor and plan to use it for a pistol build, MAKE SURE they classify it as a handgun on the 4473 paperwork as that's what designates it in the eyes of the BATF. For that very reason I would also suggest staying away from used Target actions as you have no real way of knowing how it was classified on the 4473 when it was first sold to the original owner. You can't change it's designation once an initial designation has been made.

You can always build a rifle from a pistol action without any issues, but building a pistol from a rifle action is a big no-no.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-10-2012, 09:45 AM
According to the BATF, (July 25,2011) if the barrel is at least 16" long and the OAL of the rig is 26" long, it's still classed as a rifle! (no matter what it looks like)
A barrel shorter than 16" long would make it a SBR (short barreled rifle) and a tax stamp ($200.00) would be needed to be legal.
If you have any reservations, go with an "undesignated" action.

WuzYoungOnceToo
07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
If you buy a target action from a dealer/vendor and plan to use it for a pistol build, MAKE SURE they classify it as a handgun on the 4473 paperwork as that's what designates it in the eyes of the BATF.

Actually, the more correct designation would be "Other" (the third option on Form 4473), since the action by itself, having never been assembled as either a handgun or a rifle, is classified simply as a "firearm"...which is why you have to be at least 21 years of age to buy such a receiver.

goob
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all for the info. No way I would even try it now.

Jamie
07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Goob, just find an original Striker and build off of that or buy a new Target Action from Savage. ALL Strikers were pistols.

Actually, the more correct designation would be "Other" (the third option on Form 4473), since the action by itself, having never been assembled as either a handgun or a rifle, is classified simply as a "firearm"...which is why you have to be at least 21 years of age to buy such a receiver.

That is correct. You as the buyer will never mark any block, that is for the FFL to do. If you buy a bare action it (in the eyes of BATFE) can only be marked as "OTHER". Doesn't matter if it started life as a rifle or not, if it is a bare action when it goes through the FFL they will mark it as "OTHER". ONLY the factory can designate, or not designate, an action.

joeb33050
07-25-2012, 06:39 AM
I know that this question has been around for a long time. I cut off a stock and made a short barrel rifle from my M10. I took off the long barrel and now have 22" barrels in 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06, and 308. The resulting gun is over 26" long, the barrel is over 16" long, so it's a short barrel rifle. No permission, no $200, and no Striker trigger.
I like this gun as much as my Striker, everything works, there is no down side. I'm not a stockmaker, my stock is kinda ugly, but I have pictures if anyone wants them.
joe b.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-25-2012, 08:59 AM
If the barrel is over 16" long and the OAL is at least 26" , according to the BATF, it's still a rifle! No permission needed from the BATF. It is in fact a short barreled rifle but not the way the BATF classes it.
If the barrel was "shorter" than 16", it would be classed as a SBR (short barreled rifle) in legal terms. That's where the Tax stamp ($200.00) is needed to be Legal.