PDA

View Full Version : piecing together a savage shooter

KerDog77
07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Is there anyone that has any leads on a left handed davage action in either 243win or 308. I ended up buying a new barrel and plan to go with a custom stock so I decided to piece a gun together instead of buying a vlp and replacing it's stock. Now my choices are to find an action for my build or to buy the cheepest savage gun I can find(111 fl) and only keep the action. Is there anyone that can help me out with this?

nsaqam
07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think you'll find a LH action much cheaper than you can buy the 111 FL.

Especially if you sell the barrel and stock.

KerDog77
07-09-2012, 11:58 PM
What I do not know, is the 111 a model 110? Seriously I am embarrassed to even ask but I do not feel like dealing with surprises later. I have not stumbled upon any great breakdowns of the different models. Does anyone know if they are considered good building blocks to build from. What I mean are they center feed or staggered and are they push feed? Where is the mag realease button and or are all of them internal box mag? I guess Savage is closed now so I cannot find out any specs on them. Also, does anyone know if adapting a cdi dbm would be an issue with this particular model(once I determine if it's staggered or center fed)?

ellobo
07-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Any 3 digit model (like 110) is a long action suitable for 30-06 length cartridges and 2 digit models (like 10) are short action and suitable for .308 length cartridges. Check with Jim Briggs of NorthlandShooterSupply. He is an advertiser here and usualy can find something for you. He can set you in the right direction for your build with the proper parts and information. Nice guy to do business with. Used actions may be stagger feed internal box magazines or centerfeed where the box magazine is in the stock. Detachable magazines are a conveniance if you stick with the standard Savage magazines that hold 5 rounds. The aftermarket stock makers havn't caught up to the Detachable magazine design yet so there isnt any stocks being made for them although some makers will inlet a stock for the detachables of which there are several designs. Boyds does not (yet). All Savages are push feed with a few exceptions that have controled feed. Check the Savage website for descriptions of the various models but keep in mind they do not update thier website as often as they should. Keep asking questions here for the right information. What you plan for this rifle, hunting, target, varmints etc. will determine what answers you get including everyones favorite cartridge they think you should have.

El Lobo

KerDog77
07-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I have tried calling savage but can't get through. Does the 11 fl have the same rotating bolt face as do most other desirable models? I plan to use this gun at the range some, deer stand, and some coyote hunting? Want a highly accurate shooter out to 600yds. Here is the plan

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78444/Savage+11+11FL+Hunter+.243+Winchester+Left+Hand
Buy this gun and only retain the action
1:8 twist ss bartlein cut down to 22" in 243 win in a rem sendero contour
mcmillan A3 sporter if I get a staggered feed, A5 if I can get a center feed bolt assymbly for cheap
cdi bottom metal with a 5 and 10 round detach mag(mcmillan said there is no problem inletting for them)
retain stock accutrigger
have not decided on the eye candy(custom bolt knob, barrel or action fluting, stock color, )
one day get a silencer

memilanuk
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I have tried calling savage but can't get through.

I happened to catch one of the marketing guys yesterday... apparently one of the power transformers that feeds the office area went kablooey sometime last week, and they have been without phone, email, or pretty much any form of office services.

Keep trying; they'll be back online soon enough ;)