PDA

View Full Version : WSM conversion

MAGNUS
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Can anyone clarify if i can take a standard short repeating savage action (accu trigger model) and convert it to a 270 wsm.

If so what do i need to aquire to do so eg ....bolt...

Thanks in advance and sorry for a repeat question.

Three44s
12-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty new to this:

But what I understand is that in the begining, Savage installed short mag barrels on standard shank receivers.

But fairly early on, they switched and installed them on large shanked ones.

So from a numbers stand point it would be much more common to find barrels a WSM caliber with a large shank.

A custom barrel would of course be a game changer, but is it worth the cost?

I'd run this by Northlander etc in a PM and get the best info.

Regards

Three 44s

sinman
12-11-2009, 04:08 PM
You need a magnum bolt head and a wsm mag. You can take a large shank barrel and make it small shank very easily so the shank size isn't a problem.

MAGNUS
12-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Thank you Sinman i wasnt sure about the barrel shank.

Does the larger barrel shank offer more "meat" around chamber for the WSM, was that the idea of 2 sizes?

Being that my Savage has an internal mag does that still apply that i need a new one?

sinman
12-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Ya there is more barrel meat but less reciever meat. The standard shank is the same size as a remington and they chamber those in wsm and ultra mags. Savage has 3 different boxes for the short action. standard 308, wsm, and 223.

MAGNUS
12-13-2009, 10:58 PM
So where do i get the internal magazine replacements for WSM or SAUM cases?

Blue Avenger
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
you need a magnum bolt head, BUT there is a catch! short actions use a different bolt head then long actions. it is shorter then the long action bolt head. Next WSMs when built by savage were on the controlled round feed system. they used a fixed ejector the was attached to the receiver and passed through a slot in the bolt head. the magnum bolt head for long actions is push feed and uses a built in spring ejector. so what you need to do is modafy a long action mag bolt heat for your short action.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt009.jpg

short action , long action, mag modified for short action.

MAGNUS
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Why dont i just buy a whole new "lefty" WSM bolt to suit my short action?

And while im at it get some of those detachable mags and floor plates from midway!

I can do that right?

mwilson
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
you need a magnum bolt head, BUT there is a catch! short actions use a different bolt head then long actions. it is shorter then the long action bolt head. Next WSMs when built by savage were on the controlled round feed system. they used a fixed ejector the was attached to the receiver and passed through a slot in the bolt head. the magnum bolt head for long actions is push feed and uses a built in spring ejector. so what you need to do is modafy a long action mag bolt heat for your short action.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savagebolt009.jpg

short action , long action, mag modified for short action.
if i am seeing this correctly the bolt head is just shortened to the same length as the short bolt. is that the only modification?

Blue Avenger
12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
that is all that you need to do. you will notice the lug is thicker , so the fireing pin needs to be re-adjusted or have a second pin if you change a lot.

MAGNUS
12-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Why dont i just buy a whole new "lefty" WSM bolt to suit my short action?

And while im at it get some of those detachable mags and floor plates from midway!

I can do that right?

This can be done instead right, i dont have to go the bolt head modification route do i ?

Blue Avenger
12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
what are you going to do for an ejector?

MAGNUS
12-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Obviously ill need one from some where as im now guessing they dont come with one....