PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Trace system being added to the stable.

nsaqam
07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
A fine member on another site just sold me his Pressure Trace system. I've been wanting one for a very long time and now it'll be on the way tomorrow. I'm excited!

For those unfamiliar with the PT system here's a link to the website.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

I've long used a chronograph, within the last year began using QL, and now with PT I think my data generating and gathering equipment needs are finally met.
Time to see how accurate the QL pressure estimates are in my rifles. Time to see if my long established loads are generating sane pressures. Time to experiment with cartridges I wish to run above their SAAMI or CIP MAP.

The only piece of software I don't have and would like to is QuickDESIGN.

Anyone else with PT and the other stuff I'd love to hear how you integrate them into a useful, workable package for taking handloading to the next level.

fgw_in_fla
07-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Now that is very cool. I had no idea gadgets like that were available to the ordinary Joe.

So.... When can I bring a few rifles by to try it out on?

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Frank, these are indeed a pretty remarkable tool for the avid handloader. Like I said, I've wanted one for a long time but just haven't been able to commit the $500 that they cost. I bought this used one for less than 1/4 the price and I was extremely happy when he offered it to me.

As far as testing your rifles feel free to come to Northeastern MN any time you'd like. Buy a package of three transducers, bring your rifles and loads and we'll test the heck out of them.

Cheap plane tickets are available to Minneapolis and I'll pick you up down there!:thumb:

fgw_in_fla
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry.... you don't have enough people to get me on an airplane. I'll drive when the time comes....

Ya know, for what it does even at 5 beans that's less than I thought something like that would cost. I can see the potential possibilities for precise loading.
I believe you may just have acheived the "Ultimate OCD"!!!!

All you need now is your own shooting lab & we can read about you developing the perfect bullet.
Lots of luck with it. I hope it does you righteous. Great deal you got on it, too.

Have fun with it....

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
07-05-2012, 11:04 PM
When my wife and I bought the farm we live on (we're not and have never been farmers) I thought that with 128 acres I could have my own shooting range out to 500 or more and a shooting bench and reloading station in the back of the pole barn.
Sure enough, local ordinances prohibit shooting single projectile weapons!

I thus have to use a local public shooting shooting range and I always feel a bit self-conscious setting up a chronograph and a laptop prior to shooting.
I get over it though.

darkker
07-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Good for you NS!!!!!!!!

Blue Avenger
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Must not be far enough north!

nsaqam
07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
We live on the extreme edge of Hermantown.
Cross either of the two roads adjacent to my property and you're not in Hermantown any longer.
Nice bowhunting land though. Grouse too.

Blue Avenger
07-06-2012, 09:27 PM
my friend in Lakewood is getting crowed out also. people have built houses on both back corners of his field.

Smokey262
07-07-2012, 09:25 AM
nsaqam, what cartridges will you be testing and sharing the data with us?

I love your neck of the woods. Its a 7 hour road trip from my house so I dont get there often but it is my favorite part of Wisconsin. I have heard many good things about Walleye fishing in the St. Louis River but have not tried that yet, have you?

nsaqam
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Smokey, I'll be starting with the .300 WSM, .270 Win, and the wildcat 6x47 (.222 Rem Mag necked to 6mm).

I do however have a spare 111 action and will be looking for beat up or shot out (read...cheap) small shank barrels chambered for just about any cartridge with a .473 rim size.

The barrel nut precludes the use of PT on really short cartridges like the .223 and probably the .250 and .300 Savage.

I've stayed away from fishing for many years now because I simply don't need another passion to occupy my time and deplete my gun fund.
I used to fish for Walleye in the St. Louis and there are some very nice fish there but unfortunately you just can't eat very many of them due to contamination.

darkker
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
nsaqam,

Would dearly love to see your info on the 270. Would be willing to send some components for the cause even.

nsaqam
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
I have .270 Win brass and a barrel is on the way but I did sell all my .277" bullets. Think I still have some .270 dies.

I have some factory .270 Win cartridges too.

It will be one of the first cartridges I test and I will report the results here.

stangfish
07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I didn't track the package but it should be there by Friday. Monday at the latest.

fgw_in_fla
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
nsaqam - I keep .277" Nosler BT in 130gr & 150gr, Hornady 130gr SST & some Hornady BTSP (soft tip) Interlock in 150gr if you need any for your testing. Just drop me a PM & I'll give you an updated inventory.

I also have a big box of 150gr Hornady interlock with the red poly tip & no cannelure. My rifle hates them so you're welcome to them.

Frank in Fla

nsaqam
07-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Darkker, Stangfish, and FGW, I so very much appreciate all your generosity in helping me out with this Pressure Trace project!

I feel uncomfortable however accepting your kind offers beyond the barrel already donated by Stangfish.

I would like to get a variety of .277" bullets to test out but you must let me buy them from you. I don't need full boxes, just 10-20 bullets of each type you wish to part with.

Shoot me a price and we'll make it happen.

Thanks again guys!

darkker
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I have 130gr Speer Hot-Cor's and think I still have some 130gr Sierra Pro-Hunters and SST's, but need to check for certain.
Have tons of brass, and although not listed in your "To Do" list, I also have small shank: 25-06, 30-06, & 7mm barrels that have been sitting here for years, if your interests change you are more than welcome to them.
PM me your shipping address and I'll get whatever you need comming.

If it offends your sensabilities, think of it like this: The value of my components is equal to the value of you reporting your findings.

nsaqam
07-20-2012, 05:13 PM
That's very kind of you Darkker.

Send me some of your .277" bullets then and I'll wring out the .270 with the PT.

I do have a lot of .30 caliber bullets and .30-06 brass and dies so shoot me a price on the .30-06 barrel.

nsaqam
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Frank, your offer of bullets is very kind and I would like to test some 130gr NBT's.

I haven't used 150's in a .270 much so if you want to part with some of them I'll test them out.

PM sent to both of you with my shipping address.