PDA

View Full Version : I guess I just don't get it

tucker301
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Saw a beautiful Savage 22-250 for sale on another board today.
Custom built, McMillan stock, custom barrel, custom throated for a particular bullet, and so on and on and on.

As I said, it's a beautiful rifle and I'm sure a bunch of money was spent on it. The dude's asking $1,500 for it.

Nice pictures posted, including this one of a 100 yard group.
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/diggler44/IMGP6433.jpg

So, I look at that group, and then I tilt my head a bit and look at one of my groups from my stock 12FVSS with the B&C Duramaxx. I have it on my bulletin board at the office.

And I can't help but wonder why people are paying so much money to make their groups a little bit bigger? ;D

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/tucker301/Savage/32608group_4-23.jpg

sharpshooter
12-11-2009, 12:23 AM
What you may not realise is, that is decent for a 100 yd group using 80 gr. vld bullets. Typically rifles built for long range won't impress you at short range.
I'd bet that rifle would shoot groups no bigger that twice that size @300 yds.

tucker301
12-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Then he should have posted one of those groups.
The 100 yard target is not impressing me at all.

pa hog
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I think gun's like his struggle from mediocre handloading and poor cleaning practices.possible shooter error to. Probably the same reasons his factory gun got built into what it is now.

Dirk
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Tucker,
Without any reference on your target, do you think it fair to compare his 100 yard group with your 25 yard group? ;D

Forester
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I guess it would be hard to screw up a Savage build but so bad when you start with good parts. So I tend to agree that you may be looking at the result of inferior handloads, poor cleaning practices, or just poor shooting. Could always be a sub-par barrel or bedding job too. Its a shame something he can probably control is going to hurt the sale of the rifle.

The VLD comment is pretty valid as well, my .308 shoots about .5MOA at 100 with 168grVLDs but it shoots .3-.4MOA at 200, those bullets really do not go to sleep until they are much farther from the muzzle.

BobT
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
The VLD comment is pretty valid as well, my .308 shoots about .5MOA at 100 with 168grVLDs but it shoots .3-.4MOA at 200, those bullets really do not go to sleep until they are much farther from the muzzle.

I'm gonna have to agree with Forrester and sharpshooter on this one, my 6.5-.284 does the same thing, groups actually get better out to 300 yards or so. As for the cost, well if you add up the parts and then pay a good gunsmith to put them together $1500.00 is not such a stretch. Besides even though a lot uf us have rifles that will do better, a sub 1/2" group is nothing to sneeze at!

Bob

Three44s
12-11-2009, 11:52 PM
I call that group with it's flier:

1) larger than the claimed .440"

2) a work in progress

It could be shooter error, it could be load development, ........ it may be a maintenance issue or even the bore not being broken in yet ..... but its not FULLY COOKED yet.

Three 44s

Bad Water Bill
12-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I also question the .440. Since a dime covers all 5 shots AND they are well inside the 705 diameter of the dime I have as reference I think it was smaller but that is using old fashion math. Pre calculator.

The rifle may not have been dirty enough to give it's best results

Not many of us are fortunate to have a range available that reaches over 100 yards? Therefore we will never know if the bullet goes to sleep or has night mares beyond 100 yards.

As to why someone would take a Savage apart and spend good money TRYING to improve it the answer is simple.

We want something a little different than everyone else and a Savage is a great place to start.
There are so many different ways you can go and changes you can make without having to use the services of a gunsmith. I did it myself.

I have a 03 action with a Douglas bbl built in 1965 by Harry Mc Gowen (yes I watched him headspace it) that is resting in a pre 1940 Herters top grade birds eye maple Mannlicher stock because I wanted something a little different.

Ask yourself another question. Why do we spend good money on casting, reloading and swagging equipment when we can go to the Gun shop and buy ammo? BECAUSE WE CAN and some of us like the challenge.

That is also why this site is here. To share, compare and learn.

setterman
12-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Ask yourself another question. Why do we spend good money on casting, reloading and swagging equipment when we can go to the Gun shop and buy ammo? BECAUSE WE CAN and some of us like the challenge.

That is also why this site is here. To share, compare and learn.

Very well said sir. I concur

WaltherP99
12-12-2009, 10:26 AM
1) larger than the claimed .440"

.469" with OnTarget