PDA

View Full Version : Free Bore Boost

dolomite_supafly
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
It is a fact that when using a suppressor there is a boost in velocity. The boost is attributed to the bullet not having the drag of being pushed down a rifled bore while still having pressure pushing it along. Also, accuracy increases are attributed to this also.

I was thinking why could a barrel that had the same features as a barrel with a suppressor not be made? Basically, a partially rifled with the remainder being opened up enough to allow the bullet to benefit from the free bore boost like a suppressor.

I know they make “bloop tubes” but the bore on those is much larger than the bullet. If the diameter of the smooth portion of the barrel was only slightly larger than the bullet would this cause an increase also?

A barrel does not need to be fully rifled to be accurate so this seems like this might work.

What do you think?

Dolomite

sharpshooter
12-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm not buying the idea......Who carved this in stone as a "fact"? ???

dolomite_supafly
12-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm not buying the idea......Who carved this in stone as a "fact"? ???

Almost every instance where velocity is compared between suppressed and non suppressed the suppressed has more velocity. There might be a few that this doesn't apply to but the general rule is that there is a boost from shooting through a suppresor.

Dolomite

johnsopa
12-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I believe that your premise is debatable.

I have several suppressors and have chronographed velocities with and without suppressors. I can see no measurable differences in velocity. There maybe a few (meaning single digit) FPS to be gained but my two chronos can't really tell.

dolomite_supafly
12-11-2009, 01:15 AM
I believe that your premise is debatable.

I have several suppressors and have chronographed velocities with and without suppressors. I can see no measurable differences in velocity. There maybe a few (meaning single digit) FPS to be gained but my two chronos can't really tell.

Ok, cool.

Have you noticed an increase in accuracy? That is something else I have read over and over again.

Thanks
Dolomite

rjtfroggy
12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Dolomite, from all that I have read the increase in accuracy comes from the lack of a flinch at the shot.The lack of noise and the reduced recoil gives the shooter greater concentration right through the squeeze of the trigger.
I have always wanted to try one but the cost is outrageous, 2-3 times the cost of my rifles and then the $250 to the Feds. for a tax stamp.

dolomite_supafly
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Dolomite, from all that I have read the increase in accuracy comes from the lack of a flinch at the shot.The lack of noise and the reduced recoil gives the shooter greater concentration right through the squeeze of the trigger.
I have always wanted to try one but the cost is outrageous, 2-3 times the cost of my rifles and then the $250 to the Feds. for a tax stamp.

Actually the cost for the stamp is $200.

As far as cost there are some very effective suppressors that are very reasonable. Tactical Innovations makes a suppressor that is $499 for the 223/5.56 that is full auto rated. Their rimfire suppressors are around $250. There are quieter and lighter suppressors out there but not for this price.

I have fired suppressed mp5's before and they are the cat's meow. Most times though we used them to "dispatch" nuisance animals. I like having quiet firearms regardless of caliber. I had a rifle chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol round that I loaded with 180 grain bullets and HS-6 powder. This combination gave me a rifle that was as quiet as a 10/22 firing subsonic ammunition out of a 16” barrel. Based on calculation this load was equal to a 357 magnum as far as energy levels and was well under ˝ MOA as far as accuracy goes.

By selecting the right powders and working up a load for a particular rifle you can have a quiet, accurate rifle without the use of a suppressor. I have done a lot of testing on this concept, some stuff I have worked up works well while others never did.

Dolomite

rjtfroggy
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I personally have 4 rifles I would like to put suppressors on. All Savage tactical models 2 in 223, 1308 and 1 7mm rem mag. Someone told me there is a way to have just one stamp and it will cover all of them, looking into this.
The suppressors I was seeing are all in the $1500-$2000 range and made buy a local guy who only makes for his customers and only on occasion when time permits him to do them.

Three44s
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
One stamp, three supressors ..... would be news to me ......... I think you're looking at three stamps. :'(

One supressor and three rifles would be one stamp according to my understanding.

Look carefully at your state laws ...... they are usually the "deal killers".

My home state, Washington allows them ....... but you can't shoot them ..... kind of eliminates the sense of the whole thing ??

But other states are much more friendly to them ............ Best of luck ;)

Three 44s

johnsopa
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
First you pay for the suppressor. Then you get to fill out paperwork and send ATF $200 for a tax stamp. And that is for EACH suppressor.

Accuracy improvements -- in general, I have seen accuracy improvements, especially with larger calibers like 308, but as an earlier poster pointed out, it is because of recoil reduction, and likely not because of any type of fluid dynamics effect.

I have had DECREASES in accuracy, mainly because of having to rework a load, sometimes because of looseness in the suppressor fit (especially with a quick-detach) and sometimes because of heat buildup. Mirage from a hot suppressor can be a real pain at long range. And the suppressor gets hotter much faster than the barrel.

If had to choose on whether or not to use a suppressor to shoot a small, long distance target 10 times in two or three minutes, the vote would definitely be WITHOUT a suppressor because of the heat building up.

The reason for sometimes having to rework a load is because you are hanging upwards of 1 pound off the end of the barrel -- it changes the harmonics.

But, once you have one and shoot one, it's hard to go back to shooting unsuppressed.

fatdaddy
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey John,
Is the tax stamp a every year deal or once for each? I like the idea but have never shot or even seen a suppressor. Thanks, Bill

ATLRoach
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
One $200 tax stamp per every class III device you buy.

Eric in NC
12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Have you noticed an increase in accuracy? That is something else I have read over and over again.

You mostly see that from people who sell them. As others have said - if you are flinching due to recoil or noise it might help.

dolomite_supafly
12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I personally have 4 rifles I would like to put suppressors on. All Savage tactical models 2 in 223, 1308 and 1 7mm rem mag. Someone told me there is a way to have just one stamp and it will cover all of them, looking into this.
The suppressors I was seeing are all in the $1500-$2000 range and made buy a local guy who only makes for his customers and only on occasion when time permits him to do them.

If you are going to spend $1,500-$2,000 per suppressor you could get some top of the line ones for that price. AAC, AWC, Gemtech, Surefire and Yankee Hill are a few that come to mind. None of these makers have a suppressor that costs over $2,000. The closest I can find to $2,000 is a Surefire made for a 7.62 machine gun for $1,980.

Tactical Innovations also makes a resonable suppressor at $499 that is FA rated for the 223. It doesn't have all the high speed QD mounts like some of the other makes but the price isn't as high either.

Before you plunk the cash down for a suppressor join Silencer Research (http://www.silencerresearch.com/). It will probably save you the money of the subscription when you do buy.

Dolomite